Special Order

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Woodnknots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

These were a special order from a guy I am building a cherry glass-top display coffee table for. He got the cherry from his dad, and it's been sitting in a barn for about 25yrs. We were both pleasantly surprised when I planed it and found it to be mildly curly. I get to keep what is left over, and that should be about 10bdft or so. It's pretty stuff, I'll post when the table is finished. He asked that I make these from that same cherry. Comments/critiques welcome on these!

200651423231_cherryjs2.jpg

200651423251_cherryjss.jpg

20065142332_cherrystatesman.jpg

OSCAR15

These are beautiful pens!
Cherry will darken over time, but, it is for the better. It takes on a rich patina that you cannot duplicate easily with stains, dyes etc.
As for the cherry itself, try to find stock of that caliber today. Good Luck. The cherry stock I have seen sold lately doesn't compare to what you are working with.
10 bdft? I am jealous. You can make a lot of fine things with what you will have left over![8D]

Woodnknots

Jealous of 10 bdft? Well, I hate to do this, but I have to tell you about 230bdft of top grade cherry I have air drying right now. It is all clear as a bell. I didn't notice any curl in it, but I was too busy trying to keep up with my sawyer so I didn't get charged for time I didn't need to be charged for. I'll look it all over when I turn over the stack in a month or so. I also have a bunch of good looking cherry logs that will be milled this weekend for air drying. That and two large logs of curly maple and two large logs of sycamore. It's going to be a fun weekend! I'm pretty stoked!

Woodnknots

BTW, if anyone wants some blanks from this stuff, let me know. I have some cut offs from the apron stock that was pretty curly. I'll be happy to cut them into blanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom