Special Jr Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

alamocdc

Finally got back out in the shop to finish some projects I started before Christmas.

Very rarely does one of my pens go into my personal collection. This is one of them. What makes this special (to me) is the wood. It is Acacia Carneii, also called Australian Purpleheart, Purple Carneii and about a dozen other names. It is a shrub that grows in a relatively small area of Australia and one of my Oz buddies sent it to me about 7 years ago. I have since learned that the species is now protected so getting more is a near impossibility. The purple color does not change, unlike Purpleheart, and it is VERY hard. I didn't test it, but I suspect the wood won't float. I put it on Gold TN, of course. The finish is dipped Polycrylic (two coats).

Comments and critiques always welcome.

Attachments

• 640JrGentTGAcaciaCarneii.jpg
    640JrGentTGAcaciaCarneii.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 328
  • 640JrGentTGAcaciaCarneii2.jpg
    640JrGentTGAcaciaCarneii2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 337
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

That's a beauty Billy! I like what you did with the shape, and it looks to have some nice twisting characteristic going on in the grain. I wouldn't part with it either.

RMayoIII

That has an interesting shape to it. I like it. Too bad that wood is protected now, I'd like to get my hands on some!

SDB777

I always like the 'Billy Bumps' you do!

Would be interested in hearing more on the dipping process....ie, drying and finishing it?

Scott (gotta love protected timber) B

alamocdc

Thanks for the kind wiords, all!

I always like the 'Billy Bumps' you do!

Would be interested in hearing more on the dipping process....ie, drying and finishing it?

Scott, my dipping technique for Polycrylic is the same as that for lacquer. That technique is outlined in a tutorial I wrote some years back. I believe it is still in the library. As for drying, I let everything dry about a week on the rack before I buff it out.

PenPal

Billy B,

Your pen made from the rare now Waddy Wood is interesting and well executed using shape together with Aussie Purplewood that has some sapwood in it always a sure fire recipe.

Waddy Wood will not lose its Purple colour over time the only purpleheart to remain constant, the detailed grain found in the sapwood is unique as well. This tree is slow growing to about 500 yrs taking 100 yrs to mature and grows to 18 metres in quite inhospitable country in very few places.

As the second most dense timber it takes a supreme finish and a stump will remain intact in the ground for a couple of hundred years. If you look at a map of Australia it is only found in the top end ie vertical top end in scattered patches animals feed on the shoots of new trees , lightning causes losses and trampling losses as well, altogether a recipe for diminishing this species, lucky you decided to turn this blank so often we save them for whatever reason and never know their true potential. Worth keeping indeed.

Australia still remains the best kept secret source of exciting timber anywhere we like it that way especially with the plastic trends today in costly casting.

Kind regards Peter.

Top Bottom