Speaking of Burls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Which we were a few days ago,

Thought you might like to see what they look like when I purchase a burl root.

Buckeye Burl slabs.jpg

The picture shows two of the seven slabs I received. The vendor cuts the burl root into slabs about 3 inches thick, so we can handle them to cut down to pen blanks. As you can see, some of the wood is not highly figured, but it is all clearly Burl. This is why there is a quandry when we label it for sale--some pen blanks will be far more valuable than others.

One pen we made from this burl (we have cut two slabs)

Cab tigoldx2.jpg

It IS FUN!!!
Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

In my opinion, the live edge parts are more valuable to people casting Hybrid blanks. The wood away from the edges can make some awesome regular pen blanks as you showed above.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
old joke, but some may not have heard it:

Guy lives all his life in Wisconsin, dealing with cold and snow every winter. Finally reaches retirement, packs up his things and gets ready to head south, with a snow shovel on his roof.

Neighbor asks, "Where you going to land, George?"
He replies, "I don't know where, but I'll know when I am there."
Neighbor, "OK, how will you know?"
George: "When I stop for lunch and they ask what that strange-looking shovel on my roof is for, I will know I am THERE!!"

Woodchipper

Nice looking blanks!
Permit me to digress to relate an item from Reader's Digest: A fellow moved from a Northern state to Florida. Christmas time,, he put his snow shovel in the front yard, complete with decorations and a string of lights.

hewunch

old joke, but some may not have heard it:

Guy lives all his life in Wisconsin, dealing with cold and snow every winter. Finally reaches retirement, packs up his things and gets ready to head south, with a snow shovel on his roof.

Neighbor asks, "Where you going to land, George?"
He replies, "I don't know where, but I'll know when I am there."
Neighbor, "OK, how will you know?"
George: "When I stop for lunch and they ask what that strange-looking shovel on my roof is for, I will know I am THERE!!"
That was my mom's story when we left Chicago in '84. But she added, I went another hour south, just in case. šŸ˜‚

jrista

Those are huge slabs! You bought seven, you say?? I have seen some buckeye burl slabs for sale in the past. They ranged from around $1000 on the low end, to over $5000 on the high end!! They were all 3" thick. Now, the high end ones were almost completely gray with burl. I would have to guess, unless you get a sweet deal, that the slabs you have there range from $1000-$1500 or so, maybe $2000? SEVEN SLABS has to be worth a fortune!

Top Bottom