Spalting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

The first link looks a little spammy....no information, but requesting monies.
The video link, well Sara is the best known individual on the studying of 'spalting'.

I like to do it the old fashioned way, leave the timber on the ground in my backyard with timber that is already spalting, keep them wet-ish, and then cross my fingers when I slice it open!

Scott (some wood has to be ignored) B

robutacion

I haven't seen this clip before so, thank you for sharing...!

Spalting, has always been a very interesting subject to me and since I moved to this location 8 years ago, I have been astonished by the variety of local woods that dye and spalt tremendously fast. If fact so fast that, I have left some behind to spalt a little more and by the time I have returned a year later, is already too late, the wood has completely rotted...!:mad:

This off-course changes depend upon the density of the wood species, some species, such as the White and Silver Wattles, have a life expectancy of less than 20 years, most will be attached by white fungi before they reach 10 years of age, that will attack the tree at its forks/joints first and therefore the tree simply snaps its main branches in a mild wind storm.

Anyway, I could be here until Christmas talking about spalting, I don't have a degree like Sara but I have been following and working with spalted trees/woods for "some" time...!

Some time ago, I have created a thread here on IAP about spalting, there are pics and a video clip showing, some of the creatures that live in the moistured/wet wood and that all contribute to the spalting, have a look in here

Cheers
George

rockb

A guy that I buy buckeye from uses the "mayonaise method".....yep, that's what I said.... He slabs the green buckeye burl, spreads mayo on the cut faces, stacks 'em back together, tarps 'em and waits. I've tried it, works for me. If ya don't believe there's "stuff" in mayo, leave your potato salad in the sun for a while. It'll grow legs and walk away....almost. ; )
Rocky

Top Bottom