Spalted Walnut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Last week I went on a field trip with my oldest child to a Christmas tree farm in central Indiana, while I was there I notice a huge pile of walnut. I started to talk to the owners and told them that I am a wood worker and if they wanted to sell any of their wood and they said I can have the whole pile if I wanted it they just used it for fire wood. I went to check it out and noticed that around a quarter of the pile was beautifully spalted. I took all of the spalted ones and cut it up into pen, bottle stopper, and pendent blanks when I got home and the wood is hard yet extremely spalted. It was a nice surprise, although all of the other parents looked at me like I was crazy until I showed them the pen I had on me, and from there I received five order, the wood gods were smiling down on me that day.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pics

here are the pic of some of pen and pendent blanks I have cut up.

Attachments

• light box test 052resize.jpg
    light box test 052resize.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,291

robutacion

Its amazing what "one" comes home with, when wood turning is a passion, huh...???

The wood "hunters" eyes, does help considerably, something that many of us do naturally. A good find is a good find, and you done just that, congrats...!

At least, when someone call me crazy, I can also say that, I'm not alone...!:eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom