Spalted Tulip Poplar Bowl - 1st bowl turned

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

This was my first bowl turning experience. Started in my bowl turning class, but the blank was so wet I could barely rough out the shape. Unfortunately it still warped a small bit and I turned the base too small for what I was wanting, but overall I'm very happy with my result. I do welcome all comments and any advice. Thanks for looking :)

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 196
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 184
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 187
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 218
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Jonathon, It is somewhere in the Augusta area. I am going to be doing some demos down there. When I get the address, I will let you know.

hewunch

Members meet the 3rd Saturday of the month from 9:00am to 1:00pm at 144 North Belair Rd, Evans, GA.

Access to the clubhouse area is from Hickory Drive off of N. Belair Rd. Immediately after turning onto Hickory Drive from N. Belair Rd, turn left thru the gate, bear right around the small building to the shop/clubhouse in the rear.

Brooks803

Thanks for the address...I'll check my schedule and see if Shea has to work, otherwise it might just be me. I'll have to bring in some of my recent pens to show ya.

Fred

Jonathan ... Nice bowl all around.

The next time you turn a "wet" blank, shape it to about 3/4" of finished dimensions and then boil the bowl following Steven Russell's plan as can be read here: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/woodturning-education-articles.html. Read down the list of other interesting articles and go to Boiling Wood.

I turn several bowls from freshly cut trees and always use his plan. I have yet to experience any problems with using green woods. And, Yes, boiling does diminish the drying time of green woods. That seems to be one of the first questions folks always ask about the process.

Have fun! :biggrin:

Top Bottom