Spalted oak bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fred Bruche

Fred Bruche

I found some abandoned small oak logs a couple years ago, not 100% sure but it might be chinkapin oak based on a nearby tree from which a branch broke off. The logs looked quite seasoned and "interesting" so I brought a few back home. Cut some of the logs as oversized pen blanks and a few larger blocks, and they turned out to be exquisitely spalted! I let those dry for a while and started using them since the weight hasn't changed for a few months. I recently completed a small bowl using that wood (about 2.5 inches tall, 5 inches in diameter) and here are a few pictures.
C&C welcome and appreciated.
Fred

Attachments

• SpaltedOak-1.jpg
    SpaltedOak-1.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 272
  • SpaltedOak-2.jpg
    SpaltedOak-2.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 246
  • SpaltedOak-3.jpg
    SpaltedOak-3.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 239
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

Fred:
Spalted Oak is very good for turnings and I have use for bowls,platters with great results. Now for pen I found by stabilizing the oak before you drill and turn does help in controlling the tare out for small diameter items like a pen.

charlie

Fred Bruche

Fred:
Spalted Oak is very good for turnings and I have use for bowls,platters with great results. Now for pen I found by stabilizing the oak before you drill and turn does help in controlling the tare out for small diameter items like a pen.

charlie
I might have gotten lucky and found these logs at the perfect time, but to me these blanks pretty much have the same feel as regular (not spalted) oak when turning. Some pieces that were near the edge are definitely softer but that's a small proportion of the blanks I cut so far.

Fred Bruche

Simply gorgeous, Fred !!!

What would the approx wall thickness be ?

Thanks Mal! Guessing the walls are about 1/4". I left a lip around the opening that makes then walls look thicker, not sure why, probably just the artistic inspiration I guess :biggrin:
Propolis for sealing, Yorkshire Grit for final smoothing and Hampshire Sheen for the finish.

Top Bottom