Spalted Maple from Log to Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PreacherJon

PreacherJon

Spalted Maple 8 1/2" x 2 1/2"
Friction Finish (Shellac/BLO/DNA)

The last few weeks I've been roughing out a lot of these bowls. As I was roughing this one out it seemed to be dry enough.
So I went ahead and finished it out completely. This is from the log in one of the pictures. Only cut it up 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

• Spalted Maple 6a.png
    Spalted Maple 6a.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 155
  • Spalted Maple 5i.png
    Spalted Maple 5i.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 157
  • Spalted Maple 6c.png
    Spalted Maple 6c.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 139
  • Spalted Maple 6d.png
    Spalted Maple 6d.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 133
  • Spalted Maple 6e.png
    Spalted Maple 6e.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 140
  • Spalted Maple 6f.png
    Spalted Maple 6f.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 153
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

Very nice indeed!! Reed Gray (Robo Hippy) turns almost all his bowls start to finish wet—and embraces whatever wood movement that follows. Being sparred a bit, you may not get a lot of movement from that one. I've got a 3+ day weekend coming up and a pile of maple logs cut in May—might be time to try a few wet bowls.
You've been an inspiration, thanks for sharing!!
Earl

PreacherJon

Very nice indeed!! Reed Gray (Robo Hippy) turns almost all his bowls start to finish wet—and embraces whatever wood movement that follows. Being sparred a bit, you may not get a lot of movement from that one. I've got a 3+ day weekend coming up and a pile of maple logs cut in May—might be time to try a few wet bowls.
Earl
Reed also is in hippy land... and the people who buy his bowls think they look "organic." So he can get away with that and sell them in the plenty. You do what works for your market. Most all these are going to be next years mother's day presents for the church I serve. The Maple came from a tree that has been on the church property. Mid-west conservatives don't seem to like "organic" looking bowls. ;)

Attachments

• Maple1b.jpg
    Maple1b.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 102

greenacres2

Well said Preacher!! Great use of that big maple. Mine is from what I thought was a "small" maple near our front door. Turned out to be 38" diameter at the base. Those trees are bigger than they look!
Earl

Earl
I turn all my bowls to finish, but I don't have much fresh wood now... some of it's been stacked in the yard (under tarps) for a few years now . I did have some relatively fresh cut box elder a few years back that I could feel the water slinging out as I cut it... after shaping the bowl, I turned the lathe up to a higher speed, wiped down the inside with mineral spirits several times and let it soak through the wood and out through centrifugal force.. don't know if this was proper way to dry wood, but seemed to work.... the bowl didn't move or crack.

I later got an older microwave from the local Habitat store and used it now to dry woods... I'm too impatient to turn green, let sit, return to shape and finish... just me, probably not the proper way for a turner to operate.

That's one good looking bowl, Jon. I agree with your assesment of "organic" appearance in our part of the country. I twice turn pretty much all the bowls I do. The very few I don't get raised eyebrows at shows. :eek:
Nice work. (I'm jealous)

Top Bottom