Spalted Maple Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from louisbry

louisbry

This is the largest bowl that I have turned to date (14 inch by 6.5 inch) My wife said is that mine? End of story! Enjoy and comments are always welcome.

1_LargeMapleBowl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Very nice work there Louis. . It's a beauty.
Biggest I have turned so far is 17" and not as deep as yours so I can just imagine what a big pile of shavings you hogged out of that one .

Was the wood green or dry or some stage in between. ?

Were the spalted parts punky enough to require lots of CA for stabilizing or were you lucky enough to get it at the ealier stage of spalting where it was still quite solid .

I have a bunch of that same wood that is heavily spalted and I have three quarts of CA waiting to be picked up at the post office before I can continue turning it. . One each of thin, medium and thick.

louisbry

Thanks William. Actually it was green when I first turned it about three years ago. So it was very dry when I finished it. I turned a lot of green wood when I first learned to turn so I have about 100 once turned bowls laying around waiting to be finished. I obtained the maple logs from a civil war site in Tullahoma, Tn. and spalted them myself. I had no problem with punky wood and did not use CA on this bowl, but had to do a lot of sanding to get the surfaces smooth. I have a 17 or 18 inch once turned bowl that I will finish someday.

Fred

Louis ... Very nice turning.

Did you use a bowl saver or just turn out the center? IF you did use a bowl saver, which one did you use and are you satisfied with how it works out the "saved' portion.

I would appreciate any comments you have one them and am considering one in the very near future!

Top Bottom