Spalted Leucadendron argenteum- Silver Tree.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

This piece took a while to finish and after the sanding was done I'd wished that I had never seen this beautiful piece of timber.
I am very allergic to Grevillea dust and I just never thought about this being from the same Protea Family. The Silver Tree is native to a small area of mountain range in South Africa, and is commonly called "Silver Tree" because of the silvery foliage.
The wood is quite soft and punky and would have benefited from stabilising but I have no way of doing that so there was quite a bit of thin CA invested in this. It was sanded to 400 and finished with Krylon Clear Varnish.
It's 10.25in X 7.5in X 2.5in.
Hope you like it and Thanks for looking.
C & C welcome

Bob.:)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 267
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 274
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Great Bowl, Bob.
Here in NSW we have a lot of Grevillea Robusta, aka "Silky Oak", it is Notorious as an Allergenic Agent, many turners break out in sever rashes, and / or respiratory problems, if they come in close proximity.
"Mackay Cedar" is another one that also causes a lot of problems.
If you have any sensitivity, it is well worth keeping a wide berth.
Not much fun.
Brian.

robutacion

Beautiful piece of wood, Bob...!

Shame that did cause you so much grief on your allergy reactions, I wouldn't think that was related to Grevillea but, looking closely at the bottom part of that piece, I can see the "Robusta" in there...!:frown:

Apart from the troubles that, sanding that piece caused you, it turn out stunning...!

Cheers
George

Bob Wemm

Great Bowl, Bob.
Here in NSW we have a lot of Grevillea Robusta, aka "Silky Oak", it is Notorious as an Allergenic Agent, many turners break out in sever rashes, and / or respiratory problems, if they come in close proximity.
"Mackay Cedar" is another one that also causes a lot of problems.
If you have any sensitivity, it is well worth keeping a wide berth.
Not much fun.
Brian.

Hi Brian,
With the Grevillea I get a worse reaction each time, and the last one was not much fun, blisters all over and breathing difficulties. So I am very careful with them, just never thought this time.
I will have to be more careful.

Bob.:)

SDB777

Another thing to add to my 'tuit list'....any pointers on how not to whack finger or knuckles while that is spinning around?

The knots are in just the right spot, and the touch of spalting trailing off....awesome!

Scott (keep 'em comin') B

Bob Wemm

Another thing to add to my 'tuit list'....any pointers on how not to whack finger or knuckles while that is spinning around?

The knots are in just the right spot, and the touch of spalting trailing off....awesome!

Scott (keep 'em comin') B

If you work out how to keep your fingers safe, PLEASE let me know.
I guess the skin will grow back eventually.:biggrin::biggrin:

Bob.

Bob Wemm

The other half of this piece will be listed in the "Market Place" for the cost of shipping only, sometime in the next few days.
So if you would like it, keep a look out.

Bob.

SteveG

No doubt a challenging design, and so very well executed. Too bad about the allergic reaction. I have not experienced allergy reactions to any woods, as yet. But if my request is the first, I will get to test it. I asked for the "other half" in your gift offer.

Top Bottom