Spalted Horse Chestnut Dish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Looked up on a shelf this afternoon and spotted three spalted horse chestnut blanks that were too punky to turn last summer so I soaked them for a week in a 50/50 polyurethane mixture and then set them up there to dry. Forgot all about them until spotting them there today behind some other stuff .
Put one piece on the lathe that looked like this. It was shallow on one side so I knew it was going to be a dish rather than a bowl.

SpaltedHorseChestnutBlank.jpg

Turned the bottom and added a tenon

BottomTurned.jpg

Reverse chucked and hollowed out inside and sanded to 600 grit.
Insideturned.jpg

Put on vacuum chuck to turn the foot.

VacuumChucked.jpg

Foot turned and sanded bottom to 600 grit.
FootTurned.jpg

At this point I began thinking about a finish for this one. But seeing as it had earlier been saturated with urethane I figured it might just come up nice with nothing but buffing.
Went through tripoli, then white diamond and then wax and it came up with a sheen that not only looks pretty good but it feels like velvet to the touch.
The entire project took a little over an hour from start to finish.

TrippleBuff.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jaeger

Very Nice and Inspiring!

You are a true craftsman to make a piece of art like this in ONE hour!!

Thanks for sharing along with a nice set of pictures.

mickr

pretty wood..but a whole hour??? It took a whole hour? What were you doing??? HA HA

W.Y.

Thanks for the comments.
I don't think I ever turned a bowl so easy as that one.. It was dry wood but it turned just as easy as roughing out juicy green wood (but without the shower . . lol) . It didn't even heat up the tools like dry wood normally does. .
I can only imagine that the one week soak in polyurethane last year had a lot to do with that . I think it added lubrication to the wood and made it cut so much nicer. .

The person that gave me the wood over a year ago said it was 5 years old at that time.

Last edited:

nava1uni

I really like your dish. The finish is really nice. I love using wooden dishes as they feel so nice. This one has a very nice grain and I really like the rim.

W.Y.

There's a definite WOW factor in that one.

I envy your your vacuum set up... need to get one of those some day...

Thanks.
That is a handy little vacuum chuck system. Can put it on or take it off in a couple minutes. I made several different size chucks for it after getting the initial one with it. .
If you are not aware of price etc here is one of the many places it can be purchased.

http://woodnwhimsies.com/turn.html

Top Bottom