spalted beech hollow forms

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from George Watkins

Hello folks

I dont tend to turn green wood over the summer as it warps or cracks too fast. The weather has cooled down now an dthe leaves are starting to turn browm so i've cut the first log from a batch of 8 (about 1 tonne) that i have had stored (and hopefully spalting) for two years.
here is some pics showing how i store them plus the first two hollow forms i've made from the first log today.

my log area- old blankets and a sun net stop the logs losing mositure too fast and direct sunlight

I stack the logs two high and put spalted shavings between the layers to hopefully kickstart the spalting process

The ends of the log dont give much away.....

after cutting a couple of inch off I can see that the log is spalted but its not the strong zonal lines that i prefer. Hopefully the other logs will be better.

I cut the log and got 4 blanks, this form was made with one blank, 6 1/2" tall by 5 1/2" wide

7" tall by 4 1/2" wide

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

What is there not to love?
Great Shapes ?
Beautiful Timber ?
Terrific Turning ?
Ticks all the boxes !

Turn that special piece of Timber you have been keeping.
Enjoy it for its true beauty.
Why leave it for others to enjoy without you? ZipIt!

Joe S.

Nice technique for making it spalt! I wonder how long that would take if you used smaller branches and cut for pen blanks? Do the spalted shavings need to be the same species of wood? What if the logs were cut thinner? I need to go get a chainsaw and a time machine!

The forms you made are incredible! I hope I can be as good of a turner some day.

Good job. that wood appears it would be phunky and need some stabilization to turn cleanly.

I really like spalled woods especially for bowls and pens.

thank you for the comments

Joe: I've tried cutting logs in half and spalting them and it takes just as long to happen so I'd imagine pen blanks wouldn't work, plus you need warmth and moisture to spalt and a something as small as a pen blank will dry too quickly before the spalting takes hold.
doesn't matter what shavings, if I haven't got shavings I'll use leaves.

Jim: it's a matter of catching it before it goes too far, I was lucky with this log and its turning nicely as long as the gouge is kept sharp.

Top Bottom