spalt question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldubia

ldubia

I am looking to turn several bowls out of different species of spalted wood. Wat I need to know is if the wood (because of spalting) is food safe with oil.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

JMHO, there is a time and place for spalted wood, bowls to eat out of, cutting boards, kitchen utensils a big no-no. Wood spalting caused by fungus. You can stop spalting removing wood from the environment that promotes fungi growth. Not sure if bacteria still present or not.

Anything I make from spalted wood gets tough clear finish so wood is sealed and safe to handle.

Spalted bowls appeal to artistic side of turning not using!

ldubia

Love that HO

JMHO, there is a time and place for spalted wood, bowls to eat out of, cutting boards, kitchen utensils a big no-no. Wood spalting caused by fungus. You can stop spalting removing wood from the environment that promotes fungi growth. Not sure if bacteria still present or not.

Anything I make from spalted wood gets tough clear finish so wood is sealed and safe to handle.

Spalted bowls appeal to artistic side of turning not using!

I kinda knew that but wanted to check it out to be sure. I know people love those but I didn't want to make anyone sick by making them "kitchen safe" with oil or something. I won't even put lacquer or anything on them for use. That stuff tends to come off after a while.

Thanks.

Wildman

You can finish spalted wood with any finish you like. If do not want piece to yellow or darken apply a de-waxed shellac sealer. Most spray can shellac is de-waxed. Once wood is sealed can apply any finish, you want.

I have used couple coats of Deft sanding sealer (spray can) and Deft brush on semi gloss lacquer to a spalted red oak bowl several years ago still looks good.

If not worried about yellowing or darkening apply and finish product you want.

studioso

for your information, "food-safe" finishes and oils are needless.

according to bob flexner, and I've read it in many other places, ANY common finish is food safe once it's fully cured, including all popular polyurethanes, water based finishes, varnishes etc.

of course, you might prefer the look and feel of oil, or you might be afraid of spalting leeching through, perhaps a few years down the road when the finish is degrading.

David Keller

I don't think there's much danger for folks eating from spalted bowls. Mold spores are literally everywhere, and they're commonly ingested... I think you're more likely to get sick from something on your hands than from spalted wood.

nativewooder

Since man has been eating and drinking from wooden containers for several thousand years, I don't believe all the hype about danger from spalted wood. The biggest danger to us today is not using warm soapy water to wash them out with, rinsing immediately, and drying immediately. You need to inform your wife, MIL, client, to follow those steps and make sure that no one with wood allergies uses them at all. Maybe not the MIL!:biggrin:

Top Bottom