Space Race Bolo Ties

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

I've been lucky (as have been many forum members) to follow the race for space starting in the early days - rocket planes, sputnik, Apollo 11 moon landing 50 years ago as of this past weekend, mars rover, etc. - and carried the inspiration into a set of abstract bolo ties.

Steps:
Abstract rendering in my PC using Flame Painter 4 software (really fun & inexpensive software).
Little digital paintings then color laser printed onto decal (water transfer) paper.
2" copper circles cut out and domed on a hardwood dapping block, cleaned with acetone.
Circular decals soaked 15 seconds in warm water, then carefully stretched onto the domed copper discs, dried x 2 days.
Sealed with 2 coats of brushed-on ArtResin epoxy resin, 3 days between coats.
Bolo findings, leather cords, and tips applied.

SpaceBoloTies,markison,2019,1000px.jpg

I'm not going up there any time soon, but can dream.

Warm regards to all forum members - Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice work, Bob !!!! ... but, sorry, I don't wear bolos !! ;)

Like you, my life's entrance was well-timed to experience some major aeronautical advances and all of the aerospace era so far.
It has been an exciting run, hasn't it ?!

I can remember as a paper boy delivering the newspapers right at the time of the first Sputnik ! . Wow !... and the subsequent changes in the school science curricula that ensued were quite dramatic, especially in Physics. . As good luck would have it, my teachers were very enthusiastic about introducing the relevant concepts even ahead of the official course changes.

I chose Physics as a career and that's where I learned to use a lathe (metal-working) to make parts for experimental research. I am happy to be still finding good use for the skills learned at that time !

As a much-valued coincidence, I started my first permanent post-graduate job during the same week as the Apollo 11 successes !

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful artistry again Bob. Very nice.

Coincidentally, the prior 2.5 hrs before I read your thread I re-watched the original 2001 Space Odyssey. I have fond memories of going to the theatre with my father to see it (3x). We were baffled then as was I a few minutes ago - again.

And yes, I do remember where I was 50 years ago to watch the highlights. We went to a casual friend of my parents who had a better TV. We were able to see a clearer image of the simulations!!!

But, the Bolos are excellent, and a wonderful set of images.

Bob in SF

Mark - Many thanks! How lucky we are to have experienced this amazing adventure in world history. I was on a double date with my older brother in Ocean City, MD at the time of the lunar landing (July 20, 1969) - and he said it was all filmed somewhere in Arizona - not.

Charlie - Thanks! Check out the Flame Painter 4 software - great fun and the images are readily applicable via water/decal transfer to all sorts of projects (including pens).

Gratefully - Bob

Beautiful work Bob. Like many others I can tell you where I was and who I was with during the moon landing. The thing I remember most about it was that it happened on a Sunday and we skipped Sunday Night Service at church to watch the event and we never missed church. It's one of the things I can talk with my granddaughters about. Boy has technology changed in the last 50 years.

turncrazy43

Great work as usual. I always open your posts on the forum as we will be able to see your latest creations. Your work has inspired many to try new things. Keep up the great work.
I remember the space race and was amazed. Shows what great accomplishments can be made in a free county with a will to succeed.
Turncrazy43

Bob in SF

Many thanks Mark, Cody, Tom, Wayne and John!

Tom - I don't think you missed church when you peered into the heavens that night.

Wayne - I couldn't agree more with your thought:
"Shows what great accomplishments can be made in a free county with a will to succeed"

This forum is a fine and inspiring display of creative freedom.

Warm regards to all - Bob

Top Bottom