souvenir pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Section10

I sent for my lathe yesterday. (a Carba-Tec 4SE).
A good friend owns an old schoolhouse that has been idle for several years and is tearing up some of the old hardwood flooring. He has offered me some for free and I was wondering if I ought to try making pens with it. Maybe some old students might be interested in owning a piece of their school. I'm sure this isn't an original idea, but I wonder what the success of this might be and if anyone has had any experience with such an idea. thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodnknots

Old hardwood flooring is a great source of wood for pens! especially basketball courts, things like that. You can find curly maple, tiger maple, etc... from basketball court floorboards. The thing to remember is that alot of times, especially if the building is old, the floorboards are held in with nails, which either have to be removed, or cut around. they will eat up a bandsaw blade! damhikt...

pete00

cant remember the website but thats just about all they do, uses wood from, Lobster traps, desks, floors and stadium seats, home owners trees, old furniture etc.

try searching on google for keepsake, souvenir pens and such.

But yes grab some, if its an old town school house go to town hall and tell them you'll make some pens so they can sell some history to raise some money. I called my local office to run the idea buy them and that said it sounded good.

pete

woodwish

I made some pens from our old gym floor after some hurricane damage. Made a segemented bowl that I gave back to the school, and about 24 pens for some special gifts. Biggest problem was that the floor had been sanded a few times and was only maybe 5/8 thick. Used Craft Supply's European kits for most of them, and a few slimlines. Wish I had a bunch more of it but was in the middle of our own hurricane repairs so it got away from me.

Grab all you can while you can, it will make a great momento for the ones that get a special pen! [8D]

jssmith3

When my daughter and I went on our 2 week camping road trip (5 thousand miles worth) for her highschool graduation, we would pick up a piece of wood in every state we were in and then I made us memory pens. They mean a lot to both of use so students from this school would probably like them too. [:)]
Janet

jdavis

had to replace our gym floor several years ago, lot of curly maple and even some birdseye. Studrents all wanted to make pen from gym wood. Had great time with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom