Southwest twist problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ringo

Hello everyone, first post.
I just finished a southwest twist (not the mesa) from PSI and I have a problem. The refill will not retract when I twist the upper barrel. If I put pressure on the refill tip it will pop back inside the body. I've changed the mechanim, spring and refill but still have the same results. The spring is positioned according to the instructions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

Sounds like the tip of the refill is hanging up in the pen tip. I've had this problem before. When you assembled the pen, did you press against the tip? I've done that, and there was enough pressure to "close" the tip hole ever so slightly. When that has happened to me, I've very carefully drilled out the tip from the backside, with a drill bit that is a tiny bit bigger than the hole.

Did you try a different refill? Maybe the tip of your refill is a little too big. I've run across that before, too.

Gotta agree with, @qquake, Jim above. Sounds to me like the tip is a bit pinched. I had a problem with this and found that reaming the tip out a bit solved the problem. Best of luck getting it fixed.

Ringo

Thanks everyone, I think it was a couple of things. I reemed the tip just a hair and that helped but it still wasn't perfect. The black top on the refill was hanging up on the threaded part of the center band just a bit so I used a center punch in the end and just put a little pressure while twisting to spread it just a hair. Then I used a small round file in it in case I made any burs. The pen works like a champ now.
I'm getting back into pen turning after a lot of years out of the game. I have a lot to catch up on and relearn.

Thanks again for the help.

studioseven

I also have had the same problem with this kit. I contacted PSI but their explanation was of no help.

Seven

Top Bottom