Southwest Mesa with Red & Black M3 Titanium

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

Hi Folks:

Made this one for my son, Matt. He picked the blank, kit and color (antique brass). He loves it. I did apply a thin coat of Rejex synthetic wax after the A and B metal polish.

The M3 turned beautifully using HSS.

Enjoy the rest of the 4th!

Attachments

• SW Mesa Red and White M#_edited.jpg
    SW Mesa Red and White M#_edited.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 377
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Thank you both. Remember, I'm the guy who likes the candid and unsweetened criticism. I incorporated the feedback from my other posts into the turning of my last 4 pens Sitting down and practicing my cursive writing Have a great one!

mecompco

While the pen style is not my cup of tea, I love the blank and I can't find fault with the workmanship. Very nice job, I think.

Regards,
Michael

magpens

OK .... you want some criticism ? ... Well in your text you say it is antique brass ... clearly the picture shows antique copper ... well, that's not really criticism ... just correcting your consistency . :biggrin::):):) .. .. both this and yesterday's are lovely pens !!!!

IMHO, antique brass would look better with the red/black M3 than antique copper does ... but then it was your son's choice to have ant. cop.!! :rolleyes:

BTW, there seems to be, in the picture, a brighter red section almost in line with the clip ... is that real or a figment of the photo ? .. The reason I ask, is that I also turned a red M3 blank and got some brighter red blotches which seemed to disappear when I polished with the A/B. Did you experience anything like that happening to your blank ?

Last edited:

TonyL

OK .... you want some criticism ? ... Well in your text you say it is antique brass ... clearly the picture shows antique copper ... well, that's not really criticism ... just correcting your consistency . :biggrin::):):) .. .. both this and yesterday's are lovely pens !!!!

Absolutely (I want the criticism)

You are correct..antique copper. Despite having the catalogue open, I was too lazy to look for the correct name :biggrin:

IMHO, antique brass would look better with the red/black M3 than antique copper does ... but then it was your son's choice to have ant. cop.!! :rolleyes:

I had that finish...but try changing the mind of a 23 year old :)

BTW, there seems to be, in the picture, a brighter red section almost in line with the clip ... is that real or a figment of the photo ? .. The reason I ask, is that I also turned a red M3 blank and got some brighter red blotches which seemed to disappear when I polished with the A/B. Did you experience anything like that happening to your blank ?

The blank did "brighten-up"when I polished it, but did so uniformly along the entire length of the blank. There was more/wider/brighter red toward the top of the unfinished blank. Lastly, I know many apologize for the quality of their photos...well my just stink :)...I stopped apologizing. I have a light tent, even bought a good camera. Instead, I don't use the light tent properly, use an Android or iPhone, and just use the autocorrect feature on the freeware that I downloaded. It's just not my thing, but do appreciate the artistic ability of many who take pictures.

As I mentioned, I did "wax" this one with Rejex...which appeared to add a slightly more reflective quality (but I am sure will wear off with handling).

Thank you for the critcisms and questions, let me know if I left anything out.

I am going to make a simple purple AA, Patriot now. and then a Vertex with one of an Atrax FP with one of Mark D's hemlock PC blanks!.

Have a great one!

TonyL

The Pen Blank is perfect for the pen hardware. Your son made a great matchup. Beautiful job by your son's father.

Thanks Ernie. Interestingly, my son's fiancé said it looked feminine. I could see that...I think she just wanted it LOL. I have made her dozens. I would be very comfortable carry that.

Last edited:

MHKogan

Hi Folks:

Made this one for my son, Matt. He picked the blank, kit and color (antique brass). He loves it. I did apply a thin coat of Rejex synthetic wax after the A and B metal polish.

The M3 turned beautifully using HSS.

Enjoy the rest of the 4th!

I think your son did a great job of matching the blank to the kit. I was worried about the red clashing with the copper, but it looks great. I also like the long single barrel a lot. PM me with your address and blank selections and we will get your free blanks right out to you.

TonyL

Thank you Mike. I was "concerned" too. However, he has to like it. It received very positive reveiws from the UK Penturners Pen Turning Forums

And thanks for the great deal...it effeminately encouraged me to "bite". I will be buying many more. PSI ..still has them on sale!

Top Bottom