Southeast Road Trip....where to buy hardwood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

deeceedub

We live in tree-barren west Texas, but we leave on Thursday to drive to Athens, GA for a football game. After the game, we will spend several days just seeing some places we haven't been and enjoying the week. Asheville, NC; Atlanta; Nashville; and who knows where else we will end up.

We are hoping to pick up some hardwood for small turning projects while we are there. Walnut, pecan, maple, etc...even domestic woods are exotic when you live where we do.

Do any of you guys who live in this area have any recommendations for us?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

Is the steel T post still the official county tree in Terry county?

As you come through Tennessee start looking for local owner sawmills. It has been 2 decades, but when we went to NC and came back, I visited with a friend that at the time lived there, he hooked me up with the owner of a small sawmill and I got a pickup load for next to nothing.

deeceedub

Ha! Yes, t-posts and tumbleweeds. Thanks for your input. We are in no hurry on this trip and don't have a strict agenda, so we will keep our eyes open along the way. Thank you 😊

I live about 50 miles west of Athens. We have several hardwoods and two great woodworking supply stores in the area.

If you are looking for hardwood boards sold by the board, priced by the board foot. Suwanee Lumber, in Suwanee, GA. A few miles from the Mall of GA., www.suwaneelumber.com is not far out of your way either coming or going to Athens, open weekdays and a half day on Saturdays. I personally purchase most of my hardwoods and BB plywood there.

In nearby Atlanta is Carlton McLendon Rare Woods and Veneers, www.rarewoodsandveneers.com. Like the name says. Bit expensive but enjoys an outstanding reputation locally. Open weekdays, Sat. by appt.

Two other woodworking related places nearby are Highland Woodworking in Atlanta. Right off of I-85 in Norcross, GA, is Peachtree Woodworking supply, www.ptreeusa.com. They sponsor my local woodworking group Gwinnett Woodworkers Association. Both open Saturdays, Highland open Sundays too.

One little FYI. You will need to exit I-85 North onto GA Hwy 316 to Athens. Please use an abundance of caution when driving this particular road. For some reason unknown to me except, careless driving there are far too many accidents. The more rural portions east of Lawrenceville in particular. I travelled it many times, on business and deer hunting on "Game Day" saw many bad accidents.

I'll be happy to assist in any way I can.

deeceedub

Charles, thank you so much. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Thanks also for the tips on traffic. We go to a lot of football games and it always worries me that all those fans who seem to have been drinking since breakfast are driving home on the same road we're driving.

I haven't figured out the personal message feature on the new system. Peachtree woodworking is your best bet for pen blanks, half an aisle is dedicated to penmaking, staff is outstanding. Suwanee Lumber rarely has anything shorter than about 6 feet. Personally I don't have much in the way of pecan or walnut. A few odd pieces.

If you are coming through Knoxville on your way to Nashville, stop at Jefferies Woodworks... they are a lumber importer/supplier operating in Seymour.... their warehouse is about 60,000 square foot, a great supply of both local woods and exotics from around the world.
Address is 8807 Valgro Rd, Knoxville, TN. Phone: (865) 573-5876 https://jeffries-wood-works.business.site/

Bring a big truck and lots of money... rarely get in and out for less than $300 myself.

deeceedub

If you are coming through Knoxville on your way to Nashville, stop at Jefferies Woodworks... they are a lumber importer/supplier operating in Seymour.... their warehouse is about 60,000 square foot, a great supply of both local woods and exotics from around the world.
Address is 8807 Valgro Rd, Knoxville, TN. Phone: (865) 573-5876 https://jeffries-wood-works.business.site/

Bring a big truck and lots of money... rarely get in and out for less than $300 myself.

Thank you, Chuck! 👍🏻

southernclay

Carlton McClendon's as mentioned above is pretty special. Another to add is CAG lumber in Gainesville, GA, maybe 45 minutes from Athens. I don't think they are open on the weekends, they mill and kiln dry a lot of their lumber as well as import. Really nice people.

Have fun at the game, I imagine you'll enjoy a nice welcome.....I gotta say it though, Go Dawgs! ; )

Pollock29

These suggestions are all great. On the flip side, I am traveling to Phoenix in early December. Any recommendations for there?
Thanks in advance!

Doug

deeceedub

Carlton McClendon's as mentioned above is pretty special. Another to add is CAG lumber in Gainesville, GA, maybe 45 minutes from Athens. I don't think they are open on the weekends, they mill and kiln dry a lot of their lumber as well as import. Really nice people.

Have fun at the game, I imagine you'll enjoy a nice welcome.....I gotta say it though, Go Dawgs! ; )

Thank you for the tip!

And we've had this game on our calendar for years, literally. A&M doesn't play Georgia often. We pick a few road games every fall, trying to catch legendary programs/venues throughout the south. We've been to some great schools and have always had good experiences (even at LSU 🤪) . If I can manage to get a snapshot with UGA, I will be very happy!

DrD

LSU's Death also Deaf Valley - "Where opponents dreams come to die!" Geaux Tigers.
Next time you're in Baton Rouge, if you haven't already tried it, go to Mike Andersons. Then take a trip to north Baton Rouge on Plank Road (used to be paved in wooden planks) to Tony's Seafood Market and Deli for the best Boudin Balls you've ever had and a Muffuletta that's better than you'll get at Central Grocery & Deli in New Orleans

deeceedub

LSU's Death also Deaf Valley - "Where opponents dreams come to die!" Geaux Tigers.
Next time you're in Baton Rouge, if you haven't already tried it, go to Mike Andersons. Then take a trip to north Baton Rouge on Plank Road (used to be paved in wooden planks) to Tony's Seafood Market and Deli for the best Boudin Balls you've ever had and a Muffuletta that's better than you'll get at Central Grocery & Deli in New Orleans

We have tossed around the idea of going to the game in Baton Rouge next Saturday before we head home, but I bet we're road-weary (and broke) before that game arrives. If we do end up down there, we will absolutely give your suggestions a try!

We always buy gear at the campus bookstore before the game, and one of my very favorite tees has a cute Mike the Tiger on the front. 😀🐾

MTViper

If you wait to buy until you're closer to home, there is a man in Burleson who has 3 saw mills. He's 86 y/o and has more energy than any 2 people I know. He also has a great collection of pecan, bodark, mesquite, blackjack oak, and who knows what else. Last time I was there he fixed me up with some birdseye pecan, some of the prettiest pecan I've ever seen. There's another sawmill east of Rising Star (TX Hwy 36) and he specializes in mesquite and cedar, but occasionally gets some other species. Both are very reasonable. If you want to stop in this area, let me know and I'll give you directions and contact info on both mills.

deeceedub

If you wait to buy until you're closer to home, there is a man in Burleson who has 3 saw mills. He's 86 y/o and has more energy than any 2 people I know. He also has a great collection of pecan, bodark, mesquite, blackjack oak, and who knows what else. Last time I was there he fixed me up with some birdseye pecan, some of the prettiest pecan I've ever seen. There's another sawmill east of Rising Star (TX Hwy 36) and he specializes in mesquite and cedar, but occasionally gets some other species. Both are very reasonable. If you want to stop in this area, let me know and I'll give you directions and contact info on both mills.

That's great information! We have family in the metroplex and we lived north of Abilene for 20 years, so we are familiar with both areas. My husband works ACU's track meets every spring, so that might be a good time to go to Rising Star. We would love to get some mesquite. Thank you!

Apologies for not mentioning CAG Lumber in Gainesville, GA. Fantastic. I've had a tour with my woodworkers association. Incredible wood variety.
They mill much of their own lumber and have an onsite kiln as well. I did visit on a Saturday. I'd check first to be sure they're open.

robutacion

No wonder why people love to come to IAP and ask for info in many areas, there is always a bunch of people willing to help out, great to see.

And off-course, following all those lumber places that I know nothing about, if you ever visit Australia, come by Mount Compass in South Australia, I introduce you to my "lolly-shop" of wood goodies...! ;) 🦘👍 You know, one can only dream, huh...?

Cheers
George

howsitwork

And if you turn left instead of right and keep going there's plenty of Walnut, Yew. and still some Elm left over here....

Ian

UK. , bit damper than George in South Australia

MTViper

That's great information! We have family in the metroplex and we lived north of Abilene for 20 years, so we are familiar with both areas. My husband works ACU's track meets every spring, so that might be a good time to go to Rising Star. We would love to get some mesquite. Thank you!
Just let me know here when you'll be in the area and I'll show you were to go.

deeceedub

No wonder why people love to come to IAP and ask for info in many areas, there is always a bunch of people willing to help out, great to see.

And off-course, following all those lumber places that I know nothing about, if you ever visit Australia, come by Mount Compass in South Australia, I introduce you to my "lolly-shop" of wood goodies...! ;) 🦘👍 You know, one can only dream, huh...?

Cheers
George
Australia/New Zealand is my bucket-list trip. I'll get there one of these days, mate! 😀

erika16

I know this post is old but I'll add my recommendation for Scrounger's Paradise in Asheville. I stopped by the cutoff bin and ended up with a big box of beautiful rosewood, ipe, wenge, walnut, and other exotic woods in nice small sizes for turning at a great price. Had to buy another suitcase to get it all home on the plane. Helpful staff, lots to look at. I wish I lived closer. https://scroungersparadise.com/

Top Bottom