South Texas Newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cmiles1985

Hello Everyone!

I'm a newbie to the forum, as well as to pen turning. I liked the idea of turning a chunk of wood into so much more, so I am teaching myself the fine art of woodturning. In an effort to not start off with a huge investment, I bought a "used" lathe on Craigslist. It's a PSI XL40-2 that the guy bought new in '92 and never used. Now that I know I enjoy turning, I am thinking of getting a PSI Turncrafter 12" VS. I found this forum by looking at reviews of said lathe. The lathe I've got works great, but I am sharing my one-car garage as a hobby area with my wife and her jewelry making, so a smaller footprint makes sense.

I'm glad to have found this forum and look forward to chatting with y'all!

By the way, I have turned a whopping three pens to date (I bought a starter kit from Rockler). I am happy with the results and see lots of room for improvement.

Good day!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Turned Around

Welcome

Glad you got your first few pens under your belt. And there's always room for improvement. I don't think I've heard anybody say "perfect" about their own work so far.

Cmiles1985

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I'll get some pics of these pens up soon! I have been out in the garage working on a nice pink ivory pen/pencil set for my wife. My expected delivery from Woodturningz showed up :) Maybe I've gone dumb, and it's been a long while since I've been on a forum. Does a photo still need to be linked through an external host (i.e. PhotoBucket)? iPhones weren't around the last time I was active on a forum. Now all of my turning projects (and scrollsaw projects) are saved to my phone.

Thanks again!

Cmiles1985

I read the how to, did some tooling around and figured out photos and resizing on iPhone. I have uploaded my turnings (minus my Bubinga slimline pen that I've been using daily). I'll post them to this thread shortly!

Cmiles1985

index.php

flyitfast

Clark, here's another big welcome from San Antonio TX
If you are ever in San Antonio on the first Thur of the month, come join us at our Alamo Penturning Chapter meeting. 6:30 at Woodcraft on San Pedro.
Gordon

Cmiles1985

Clark, here's another big welcome from San Antonio TX
If you are ever in San Antonio on the first Thur of the month, come join us at our Alamo Penturning Chapter meeting. 6:30 at Woodcraft on San Pedro.
Gordon

Thanks for the heads up! I don't make it that way often. I wanted to swing by the Woodcraft store last time I was in San Antonio, but I was just up for a very quick business trip/meeting. Thanks again, and I will certainly try to make it up there around a Thursday evening get together.

Top Bottom