Sources for Small Parts for Stands?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from penicillin

penicillin

I am working on multiple projects in parallel, including simple pen stand designs.

I am looking for a collection of small brass and other metal parts that can be used to hold pens. I do not want long funnels, just small, modest, brass parts that can be embedded in a wood stand. I found these, but was hoping for more options and selections:
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/DAUNIV.html

Here are my questions:

Can you recommend good sources for a variety of pen stand parts?

How do you drill a perfect cone-shape hole for making shallow "funnels" from wood?

Clarification:
The kind of pen stand I want to make will sit on a desk, holding a pen upright in a "ready to use" position. I have no interest in pen stands for displaying multiple pens for shows and fairs.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I am working on multiple projects in parallel, including simple pen stand designs.

I am looking for a collection of small brass and other metal parts that can be used to hold pens. I do not want long funnels, just small, modest, brass parts that can be embedded in a wood stand. I found these, but was hoping for more options and selections:
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/DAUNIV.html

Here are my questions:

Can you recommend good sources for a variety of pen stand parts?

How do you drill a perfect cone-shape hole for making shallow "funnels" from wood?

Step drill bits for cone holes

www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-1-1-8...ack-Oxide-Step-Drill-Bit-48-89-9201/204312636

Pen holder---- Think outside the box if you do not want the typical pen funnels which you can find from most pen vendors. Bullet cartridges, cut to any size you want. Brass tubes, cut to size and shape. Go to Home Depot and take a walk in the hardware dept and check out curtain rods and holders, Check out the bins and drawers where they have lots of parts. Brass tubing or brass rods. Drill to your specs.

Last edited:

penicillin

Thanks for the idea. I have seen those step bits before, but wouldn't they leave stepped holes? How do people make smooth-walled cone-shaped holes?

I thought about using a V-groove router bit in a plunge router, but don't know if it would work, and I don't have a plunge router. I still have to "tip in." Does anyone know if a v-groove router bit would work, or have a better answer?

jttheclockman

Thanks for the idea. I have seen those step bits before, but wouldn't they leave stepped holes? How do people make smooth-walled cone-shaped holes?

I thought about using a V-groove router bit in a plunge router, but don't know if it would work, and I don't have a plunge router. I still have to "tip in." Does anyone know if a v-groove router bit would work, or have a better answer?

You can use a Vee bit or a reamer bit but will not get very deep if that helps you.

As far as cleaning the step hole you can use a hand reamer to clean hole.

www.walmart.com/ip/General-Tools-13...wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10356848321&wl4

You can get the drill bit reamers

www.ohiopowertool.com/c-369-straight-shank-maintenance-reamers.aspx

Last edited:

dogcatcher

If you want the swivel type, search for "desk pen holder" on Google and then look at the images. If you know a local trophy shop, you might ask them if they have any for sale, I used to get mine at a local shop, but I have known her and her husband for 45 years. Years ago I also found some at Hobby Lobby or Michaels.

For complete custom, I have turned pieces of resin pen blanks and step drilled the inside. Turned round and drill at an angle to insert in to a block of wood.

jttheclockman

I was poking around looking for taper bits like the plugger that Lee Valley used to make. I found something called an umbrella hole bit. The small one looks like it will do the job without the steps of a stepdrill.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/3Pcs-HSS-Ta...102385?hash=item3631e19931:g:eH0AAOSw0qdcZPma

I call those reamer bits. they dull quickly if used as a drill bit. just to make the OP aware They sell chamfer bits as well. all depends on how large hole he is drilling. But even the chamfer wood bits dull quickly.:):) If you are interested in the bits pete mentioned look on ebay. There are companies setup to sell China stuff in California.

Last edited:
Top Bottom