Source for Holly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

For those that use Holly, have you found a reliable source with consistent quality? My wife got me a little from Domex for Christmas. Said she almost changed her mind when she saw the $17.50 shipping charge. Ouch! It's a beautiful, consistent creamy white color, but that adds a lot to the cost. I probably will use more 1x1x12 than pen blanks. I see Cook Hardwoods and Craft Supplies USA sell it, too.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gimpy

For those that use Holly, have you found a reliable source with consistent quality? My wife got me a little from Domex for Christmas. Said she almost changed her mind when she saw the $17.50 shipping charge. Ouch! It's a beautiful, consistent creamy white color, but that adds a lot to the cost. I probably will use more 1x1x12 than pen blanks. I see Cook Hardwoods and Craft Supplies USA sell it, too.

West penn hardwoods

egnald

When I have bought Holly in the past I got it from Amazon Exotic Hardwoods. It was pretty good quality - nice and white, but I haven't bought any from them for quite a while. Their standard 3/4-inch Holly pen blanks run about $12 for 5 pieces. Larger pieces are significantly more expensive per piece. I don't know about their shipping costs as my orders have always qualified for their free shipping promotion. It would surprise me if it is very high though as they are located in Florida and use standard ground shipping.

Here is their link: Amazon Exotic Hardwoods - Holly

Best Regards,
Dave

jttheclockman

The big problem is this is a wood that needs to be harvested in the winter in cold regions. Then needs to be dried and hopefully it does not grey. That is why the price is so high for premium. I use to have a dealer that I bought many exotics and domestics from till they had a fire. If I need to buy this again I too would have to look around. Stock photos are nice but you are at the mercy of vendor.

jttheclockman

I priced taking down a big Holly tree if you would be interested in it green. I have some from a job last summer but I know some of it turned blueish grey
No I still have sufficient stock left from my buying days. I never deal with green wood and never will. Too much trouble.

philipff

I HAVE A BUNCH OF HOLLY, ALL FROM A LARGE TREE. KILN DRIED. SOME 1 X 12/13 AND 6Q. I AM OFF R-5 ABOUT 30 MI EAST OF I-295, WHICH IS NOT TOO FAR FROM THE NC BORDER. Philip

sorcerertd

West penn hardwoods
I love that place, but haven't found anything other than some thin pieces there, maybe 3/8 thick. I'll have to ask about them maybe getting some next time I go, though. Maybe he can locate some if he has a market for it, which I believe we can provide.

I HAVE A BUNCH OF HOLLY, ALL FROM A LARGE TREE. KILN DRIED. SOME 1 X 12/13 AND 6Q. I AM OFF R-5 ABOUT 30 MI EAST OF I-295, WHICH IS NOT TOO FAR FROM THE NC BORDER. Philip
It's about a 4 hr trip one way for me, but I'll check with you if I end up heading that way any time soon.

Sounds like it definitely needs to be kiln dried to retain the color. That leaves green wood out for me, too.

cmiller

Hi, the piece attached is from my back yard. (Sorry the picture is not great.) Ice storms around here produce a decent amount of broken limbs. I also called a local holly farm--they said call back in December. So I'm waiting, but I'm hoping it'll be a good source. Want me to let you know what I find?

Attachments

• holly.jpg
    holly.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 91

sorcerertd

Hi, the piece attached is from my back yard. (Sorry the picture is not great.) Ice storms around here produce a decent amount of broken limbs. I also called a local holly farm--they said call back in December. So I'm waiting, but I'm hoping it'll be a good source. Want me to let you know what I find?

Sure, it can't hurt to have options. Did you just air dry that piece?

Top Bottom