Source for Elm Burl Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fine Engineer

Does anybody know of a good source for Elm Burl blanks? I have a special project where this is required. Trying to really show on a pen the burl patterns that you see on older British sports car instrument panels.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Joebobber

I traded a seam ripper for a very large Japanese elm burl that had been sitting in the guys garage for a decade or more. If you want a few blanks or whatnot let me know what you need. I turned a handle for a shaving brush with it but haven't really cut into it yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211222-190327_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211222-190327_Gallery.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 100

Fine Engineer

I traded a seam ripper for a very large Japanese elm burl that had been sitting in the guys garage for a decade or more. If you want a few blanks or whatnot let me know what you need. I turned a handle for a shaving brush with it but haven't really cut into it yet.
I would love a couple of blanks from this Joe.
What I'm planning is for a colleague that is going through some difficult time, and has always wanted a Lotus sports car. So what I want to build is a gearshift pen with elm burl (which is what Lotus used to use for their instrument panels), and add a Lotus logo emblem decal under the CA finish. Not the actual car, but should be a cool looking instrument to use.

The address is;
1173 Mountain Park Dr.
Carson City, NV 89706

Let me know what the cost is for the blanks and shipping and I'll get that to you.

Thanks!

Jeff

P.S. - I have a large chunk of Black Walnut in a similar situation (I've had it for over 20 years and couldn't think what to do with it). I've cut a couple of chunks out and made some blanks and will see what else I can do with it. I'd be happy to trade if that interests you.

Fine Engineer

I've seen this one, and have been tempted, but the seller is in Ireland, and the shipping for 4 blanks is $17. It's still a possibility, but I was hoping for a lower cost domestic solution.

Jeff

Joebobber

What I'm planning is for a colleague that is going through some difficult time, and has always wanted a Lotus sports car. So what I want to build is a gearshift pen with elm burl (which is what Lotus used to use for their instrument panels), and add a Lotus logo emblem decal under the CA finish. Not the actual car, but should be a cool looking instrument to use.

The address is;
1173 Mountain Park Dr.
Carson City, NV 89706

Let me know what the cost is for the blanks and shipping and I'll get that to you.

Thanks!

Jeff

P.S. - I have a large chunk of Black Walnut in a similar situation (I've had it for over 20 years and couldn't think what to do with it). I've cut a couple of chunks out and made some blanks and will see what else I can do with it. I'd be happy to trade if that interests you.
Yeah I would trade for black walnut. I have a ton already, but that saves my wife from having to cut some for me. I will send you out some elm tomorrow. Sent you a pm

jrista

If you can't think of anything specific to do, I'm sure other people could help you with that! ;)

You could cut it up into various blanks, including pen blanks, and sell them. I have looked for walnut burl...and it does not seem to be vary common stuff!! I'd love some walnut burl pen blanks, spindle blanks, maybe bottle stopper blanks (I use the bottle stoppers for other things too, like one of my current projects is to make little christmas ornaments out of bottle stopper blanks...bells, snowmen, angels...they are the perfect size!)

Fine Engineer

If you can't think of anything specific to do, I'm sure other people could help you with that! ;)

You could cut it up into various blanks, including pen blanks, and sell them. I have looked for walnut burl...and it does not seem to be vary common stuff!! I'd love some walnut burl pen blanks, spindle blanks, maybe bottle stopper blanks (I use the bottle stoppers for other things too, like one of my current projects is to make little christmas ornaments out of bottle stopper blanks...bells, snowmen, angels...they are the perfect size!)
It is an interesting slab with some interesting figuring on it. It's not a burl though, just a strange slice from a rather large tree. It is nearly 3" thick too. Here are some photos of it. I cut it straight across at the notch at the bottom, and have been working with that wood to start with. It really doesn't lend itself to be a live edge table, so I think I'll just mill sections as I need them for various small projects. It is very dry, and with the parts that I've already been using, there are cracks in various sections. It is also kind of tough to turn as it seems very brittle, much more so than the Maple and Jatoba that I have.

Jeff

Attachments

• 0328211359_HDR.jpg
    0328211359_HDR.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 0328211400_HDR.jpg
    0328211400_HDR.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 0328211400a_HDR.jpg
    0328211400a_HDR.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 109

jrista

It is an interesting slab with some interesting figuring on it. It's not a burl though, just a strange slice from a rather large tree. It is nearly 3" thick too. Here are some photos of it. I cut it straight across at the notch at the bottom, and have been working with that wood to start with. It really doesn't lend itself to be a live edge table, so I think I'll just mill sections as I need them for various small projects. It is very dry, and with the parts that I've already been using, there are cracks in various sections. It is also kind of tough to turn as it seems very brittle, much more so than the Maple and Jatoba that I have.

Jeff

Oh yeah..its huge... Hmm, interesting... I think it could still make an interesting table. Maybe with a bit of shortening, instead of a full coffee table, it could be a nice side table. I have numerous small square side tables next to my couches, but I have always wished for a longer side table, that could stretch back farther towards my walls. This thing, with some clever use of resin in the cracks, could probably make for a really nice side table. You could cut off a chunk at the bottom and still have some wood left for other projects, too, I would think, as right now its probably too long even for a "long" side table.

Bryguy

The address is;
1173 Mountain Park Dr.
Carson City, NV 89706

Thanks!

Jeff

Everyone should have a Lotus. I built my replica from scratch. Of course I turned my own gear knob.

Attachments

• DSC_0967.jpg
    DSC_0967.jpg
    640.9 KB · Views: 73

Fine Engineer

Everyone should have a Lotus. I built my replica from scratch. Of course I turned my own gear knob.
That is really cool Bryan. Is that a Caterham or a different kit? I've always loved the Super 7s and all the knockoffs (most of which are actually better than the original).

Jeff

Bryguy

Thanks! No kit. I found the plans online and built the frame with one inch tube steel. I patched the rest together, Chevette front end, Chevy S10 rear and a Mazda Miata motor with a speeduino ECU. It only took me 20 years! But in the long run it was cheaper than playing golf in my spare time, and I got a car at the end of it. She is a blast to drive around in and I get lots of waves, thumbs up and questions.

Fine Engineer

Thanks! No kit. I found the plans online and built the frame with one inch tube steel. I patched the rest together, Chevette front end, Chevy S10 rear and a Mazda Miata motor with a speeduino ECU. It only took me 20 years! But in the long run it was cheaper than playing golf in my spare time, and I got a car at the end of it. She is a blast to drive around in and I get lots of waves, thumbs up and questions.
Tremendous persistence to put something like that together from plans and parts. Kudos to you for that.

Jeff

Top Bottom