Source for Cardboard Mailing Boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Anyone have a particularly good source for cardboard mailers. I am aware of Uline, but not sure of other options. Historically Uline hasn't been the cheapest but all of the so-called "wholesale" suppliers are even more expensive. Began looking on Alibaba but that was exhausting as the offers are often only 1 size of box. I would prefer a single source of a few different sizes from 4x4x2 up to 14x8x8.

Figured I would check and see if anyone has good experience. If not, I'll let you know what route I take. And may have discount boxes available for sale if you need them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

I'm no help. I almost always use the free Priority Mail boxes from the post office. I guess they must build the cost of the box into the postage collected when they get mailed. - Dave

zig613

Try Staples. Their selection or quality isn't as good as Uline but, a little cheaper.

henry1164

Dave is right on with "Priority Mail" boxes from the Post Office - they are free and you can take as many off the rack at the post office as you like. And, yes the cost is included in the price of postage when you ship.

Want to save a little money on postage for Priority Mail as well as other services? Use https://ship.pirateship.com/. The rate at the Post Office window for asmall priority box is $8.45. With pirateship the cost my cost is $7.90. Fifty-five cents is not that much but it does add up with shipping several boxes. Also, I print the postage label at home and put the package in my mail box at the street for pickup by my local carrier.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 16.01.40.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 16.01.40.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 92

MRDucks2

Thanks for the replies. I do use the free priority mail boxes when I ship priority mail. They will actually deliver bundles to the house.

What I am looking is boxes to use mostly for parcel post. The reality is when staying within guidelines, most small packages ship for much less than priority mail prepaid boxes and get there in the same amount of time. I already get discounted shipping from all providers.

Doing everything we can to minimize shipping cost for our customers who place small orders.

hilltopper46

I have found the best price for small cardboard boxes from Quill.com - I use a 5x5x5 and a 4x4x8 from them, both sizes cost less than $0.30 when purchased in a single bundle. I can save money over the "free" priority boxes shipping First Class Package and using these boxes.

WriteON

Dave is right on with "Priority Mail" boxes from the Post Office - they are free and you can take as many off the rack at the post office as you like. And, yes the cost is included in the price of postage when you ship.

Want to save a little money on postage for Priority Mail as well as other services? Use https://ship.pirateship.com/. The rate at the Post Office window for asmall priority box is $8.45. With pirateship the cost my cost is $7.90. Fifty-five cents is not that much but it does add up with shipping several boxes. Also, I print the postage label at home and put the package in my mail box at the street for pickup by my local carrier.
PayPal has a USPS priority mail label service also.

I just go to USPS.com and order what boxes I need and they send them to your door FREE!. And also use the paypal payment and it is even cheaper for the postage.

penicillin

PayPal has a USPS priority mail label service also.
I would like to add two points:

1. The free Priority Mail boxes from the USPS (post office) may not be used for anything other than Priority Mail.

2. Through PayPal, you can pre-print postage to mail a variety of letters and parcels, not just Priority Mail.

When we were on lockdown and did not leave the home, we were able to mail thick letters, large letters, small parcels, etc. directly from our home. You need a good postal scale. A kitchen scale may be less expensive and do the same thing; that's what we use at home. You also need a way to determine if your letter is over 1/4 inch thick. You can cut a 1/4 inch slot in a piece of scrapwood with a table saw or router.

Here is the link to PayPal's USPS label creation service:
https://www.paypal.com/shiplabel/create/

Bats

1. The free Priority Mail boxes from the USPS (post office) may not be used for anything other than Priority Mail.
And a while back they started printing "Priority Mail" all over the inside, too - so you can't even get away with turning them inside out anymore.

watch_art

This one is cheaper after shipping for Kraft pen boxes (I use these)-

but they don't offer custom printing which is pretty awesome.

Bats

but they don't offer custom printing which is pretty awesome.
Unfortunately that custom imprinting (not just printing) says it requires a one-time $68 plate fee (no biggie), and a minimum order of 144 units.

One "unit" being a pack of 100 boxes.

144 * 100 = 14,400 = a whole a lotta boxes. I'm not sure I want to think about how long it would take me to make enough pens to fill those.

(too late - I just did. It would take a year at 40 pens a day, and I'm really pushing it if I'm doing 4 pens a day)

watch_art

Unfortunately that custom imprinting (not just printing) says it requires a one-time $68 plate fee (no biggie), and a minimum order of 144 units.

One "unit" being a pack of 100 boxes.

144 * 100 = 14,400 = a whole a lotta boxes. I'm not sure I want to think about how long it would take me to make enough pens to fill those.

(too late - I just did. It would take a year at 40 pens a day, and I'm really pushing it if I'm doing 4 pens a day)

Ooh. I didn't look at the fine print. Then JPI Display is cheaper. I was buying from their ebay store, but it's cheaper buying direct from them on their website.

sbwertz

For sending just one or two pens, I bought cardboard pen boxes, and put them in brown craft-paper envelopes. They ship just fine that way for very reasonable prices. I use the pen boxes all the time anyway, so I buy them in 100 at a time. These are just the cardboard pen gift boxes that will hold one or two pens.

Last edited:

sbwertz

I give the boxes to the blind turners for their pens, too. They are making them for gifts, mostly, and they love the little boxes. AT 50 cents apiece, they are a good investment for me down there. I also have the velvet pen pouches and let them choose which they want.

Top Bottom