Sorta new!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

steeler fan1

I've been reading the forums here for a while but have never formally introduced myself. My name is Carl and I live in Northern Il. Don't let my user name (Steeler Fan1) confuse you, I was born and raised in north western PA. Black and Gold flow through these veins:biggrin:. Retired several years ago and am an avid golfer. Unfortunately some health issues have put a damper on that activity:frown:. Got into pen turning the first of this year and I've been bitten big time. I've not done any turning before this but I just love it! I've made a few pens and some other small items so far. The help and info I've gleened from this site and ThePenShop site are invaluable.

Great sites, great members and great resources.

Happy turning all.
Carl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbuckley52

I think it is mainly trial and error to see what works best for you.
There are a lot of great pen turners here. and they make some beautiful things.

I started turning pens about 7 years ago and have not looked back since. I still turn pens but now turn large boulders of Alabaster.

I like the sculptured pen kits from Penn state and think they make classy pens.

I was not sure about the acrylics but once you get use to them, they are pretty nice to turn.

A little trick a guy at the Rockler store in Arlington, Texas told me about that is this.

once you get the blank cut and drilled and the tube glued in, and pen milled (I use a pen mill on my small drill press) round the corners off with your sander, sometimes the acrylic does not like the hard hitting gouge against it, this will save you from blow outs. It has helped a lot for me.
I use a 3/4 gouge and just start shaving the blanks little at a time, the cut off will create a long stream of material and it is cutting, this is what you want, and sometimes you have to stop and clean it off the mandrell so you can see the end of the blank.
hope this is a little help
mark

Last edited:
Top Bottom