Sort of a Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alan Morrison

Alan Morrison

This is the result from playing around with a hole saw and a piece of maple. Etesia pen kit.
IMG_1329.jpg
IMG_1331.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

From what I can see I quite like that !!!! . . Nice idea and nice work !!

The thing is ...... could you make another exactly the same ?

And then ..... the bigger question ..... could you tell the rest of us how to do the same ?? . . šŸ˜ :D:);)

Isn't it a lot of fun to experiment and come up with something really interesting like this . . . . . and rewarding also !

Good on ya' ! ! ! . . . . Thanks for showing us this, Alan !!

I actually like it BETTER THAN A CELTIC KNOT ! ! ! ! ! . . . . I hope you write a tutorial on how to do that lovely pattern . . . ! ! !

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wonderful play time! I do hope you continue. The basic design is very well formed, so minor modifications (e.g. timber colors for the veneers, thickneses, etc.) will make a huge variation. Well done Mate!

Kcimdrib

Looks like a winner to me Alan don't think I can think far enough out of the box to try and replicate this. Well done like it a lot I'll just look on in envy.

Alan Morrison

Looks like a simple and easy thing to do. The amazing part is that nobody has thought of it before. Good for you getting your mind further out of the box.
Simple is right, Peter. 4 cuts with a 25mm hole saw. Only tricky bit is centering the third and fourth cuts.

Alan

magpens

Simple is right, Peter. 4 cuts with a 25mm hole saw. Only tricky bit is centering the third and fourth cuts.

Alan

@alanemorrison

Please tell us more, Alan. . . You say " 4 cuts with a 25mm hole saw " ....

How are the centers arranged for those 4 cuts ?

If I were to answer my own question, I would say that two of the centers are on the centerline of the pen barrel.
The other two centers would be off to the side of the pen blank, and equally distant from the blank centerline.

I can see that the last two would be a bit tricky to do.

But I am not even sure if my idea is correct, so I would appreciate hearing from you, please, Alan.
I say that I am not sure about my idea because it may not give the same look as in your second picture at the beginning of this thread.

Alan Morrison

@alanemorrison

Please tell us more, Alan. . . You say " 4 cuts with a 25mm hole saw " ....

How are the centers arranged for those 4 cuts ?

If I were to answer my own question, I would say that two of the centers are on the centerline of the pen barrel.
The other two centers would be off to the side of the pen blank, and equally distant from the blank centerline.

I can see that the last two would be a bit tricky to do.

But I am not even sure if my idea is correct, so I would appreciate hearing from you, please, Alan.
I say that I am not sure about my idea because it may not give the same look as in your second picture at the beginning of this thread.
Photographs of the process posted, Mal.
Hope that they make things a bit clearer.
Alan

Alan Morrison

Or instead of veneer I see some colored casting resin filling the voids. Very cool idea.
That's an idea. As I don't work with resin why not give it a go yourself?
I don't know if resin is easier than veneer, but there sure would be a good chance to brighten everything up with colour ( color )
Alan

Valin6210

That's an idea. As I don't work with resin why not give it a go yourself?
I don't know if resin is easier than veneer, but there sure would be a good chance to brighten everything up with colour ( color )
Alan
I hope to, need to get a silicone mold first to contain the pieces.

Top Bottom