Sorry more Staining

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kcimdrib

Kcimdrib

Tried again to use Spirit Stain. Hope somebody likes them. Just used single colour this time and to me that look better. If I could spell Staining it might help sorry. ( I have corrected it for you, MIke)
Think its like Marmite/Vegimite you either love it or hate it.

Attachments

• Stain1.jpg
    Stain1.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 206
  • Stain2.jpg
    Stain2.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 204
  • Stain3.jpg
    Stain3.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 181
  • Stain4.jpg
    Stain4.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Stain5.jpg
    Stain5.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 181
  • Stain6.jpg
    Stain6.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 199
Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I like them. They look great. Judging by your opening statement you might be the one that posted a previous pen that was stained. Another member said he wasn't a fan of that process. Although I must admit I'm not either but that has nothing to do with another persons way of doing things. If your not the one with the earlier post then maybe they will see this. I've thought about staining wood to get a specific color to go with a plating or logo but I just moved on to other projects and never went back to it. Keep posting even though it's not popular because I've found that even though I might never try it something it might give me an idea for another project I am working on. Thanks Again for posting.

Kcimdrib

I think the post you mentioned was mine. My first attempts I used too many colours and the criticism was deserved they sort of blended to a muddy mess.
I have learnt that one colour and try too highlight the grain in Ash.
So one colour careful sanding with the Lathe stationary and sand along the grain.
I have used Melamine Laquer because on previous experiments I found CA effected the stain. I also quite like Melamine as a finnish seems to retain the feel of the wood.
I am not sure myself but give it a go and good luck. Look forward to seeing your efforts.

PatrickR

I really like the one on top. The stain has accentuated the grain and still has a natural look. No so much on the red but probably just me.
I have been experimenting with stains etc to try and make a weathered barn wood look. i think i have a winner and will post something when I'm done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Personally, I actually like stains on open grain, nicely streaked timbers. I have lots of Oak, and stains really add to the appeal. When I do a series of "Turning for troops," staining a bunch of white Oak in different shades is quite nice.

Very nice.

Kcimdrib

I agree the Black Stain woks better look forward to seeing your efforts.

Kcimdrib

Personally, I actually like stains on open grain, nicely streaked timbers. I have lots of Oak, and stains really add to the appeal. When I do a series of "Turning for troops," staining a bunch of white Oak in different shades is quite nice.

Very nice.
Thank you for your comments. With me the jury's out just can't make up my mind.

Kcimdrib

Tried again to use Spirit Stain. Hope somebody likes them. Just used single colour this time and to me that look better. If I could spell Staining it might help sorry. ( I have corrected it for you, MIke)
Think its like Marmite/Vegimite you either love it or hate it.
Thanks for that I tried but couldn't figure it out.

eteska

I have played a little with staining as well. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to picking pens and often times ones that I'm not 100% sure of are others favorites.

I have done a few where I have left the stain solid and some where I have sanded to reveal more of the grain. I'm glad you posted these. Getting back to this process has moved back up my priority list. I have had decent luck with ash and hickory and was just given a nice slab of ash.. time to cut some blanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Kcimdrib

I have played a little with staining as well. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to picking pens and often times ones that I'm not 100% sure of are others favorites.

I have done a few where I have left the stain solid and some where I have sanded to reveal more of the grain. I'm glad you posted these. Getting back to this process has moved back up my priority list. I have had decent luck with ash and hickory and was just given a nice slab of ash.. time to cut some blanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Ash seems to work very well. I found sanding between coates of stain critical and applied no more than three coats. Also sanding along the grain Lathe off and concentrate on areas where the stain concentrates.

howsitwork

Still not sure but interesting results, keep going.

Totally agree about melamine but in my case that's because I haven't got the hang of CA ( and don't like the fumes if I'm totally honest ). I like the way it doesn't obscure the wood texture.

Kcimdrib

Still not sure but interesting results, keep going.

Totally agree about melamine but in my case that's because I haven't got the hang of CA ( and don't like the fumes if I'm totally honest ). I like the way it doesn't obscure the wood texture.
Yes the pen retains the feel of wood and not plastic but CA seems popular so I guess its an individual choice. I finally used Renaissance Wax a fast drying Microcrystalline wax. Apparently used in the Royal Household and if its good enough for our Queen who am I to argue. Perhaps polishing the furniture's taking her mind off her current problems

Last edited:

guitarchitect

I say keep going! You won't master it until youve done enough experiments which naturally means you will have successes as well as failures.

I've been playing with staining too, but pushing it far enough that it's a lot less... Subtle! This was a really boring "natural" stabilized Maple Burl that I didn't think warranted being a pen, so I busted out my aniline dyes. It's ends up feeling like you're looking deep underwater when you look at the pen. I need to refine the technique (originally I was trying to do it like a colored sunburst finish on a guitar), but I like the results a lot, especially for a first try!

Attachments

• 20210306_004121.jpg
    20210306_004121.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 20210306_004034.jpg
    20210306_004034.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 96

Kcimdrib

I say keep going! You won't master it until youve done enough experiments which naturally means you will have successes as well as failures.

I've been playing with staining too, but pushing it far enough that it's a lot less... Subtle! This was a really boring "natural" stabilized Maple Burl that I didn't think warranted being a pen, so I busted out my aniline dyes. It's ends up feeling like you're looking deep underwater when you look at the pen. I need to refine the technique (originally I was trying to do it like a colored sunburst finish on a guitar), but I like the results a lot, especially for a first try!
They look fantastic did you finish with CA. Looks like I have a long journey ahead.

qquake

That looks really nice! Which pen kit is that? I don't recognize it.

guitarchitect

Doesn't look like they ship to the States. Too bad.
yep they do! see here- like all cross-border things though sometimes it's cost-prohibitive... i made an order from berea the other day and shipping alone is $27US, and on top of that will be customs fees :(

they are prompt in replying to emails/questions so it's worth reaching out if you want more info from them. the luxor is a terrific click pen - has the SKM-88 mechanism, but the flutes can be a bit much. WWW says they have no plans to import the sierra super button (hence my berea order) so i guess I guess the lines have been drawn!

howsitwork

Impressive case of more becoming acceptable as a norm. Not sure about the loss of grain appeal as it looks kind of plastic like but that's a photo not in the flesh so to speak. I do like the look and it works with that kit certainly.

Never tried tinting a finish , especially CA. I'm damn lucky if I can get it to flow without streaking even using polythene to apply it.

Top Bottom