Sorby Pro-Edge owners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I just got one and have a few questions before I get started. I bought it mainly for sharpening oval skews. The skew jig it came with seems to be designed for a flat skew. My first question is...are you working with ovals and how are you managing. I'm not touching the belt until I understand technique.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

My first skew was an Sorby oval skew. I sharpen it freehand...not hard to do - if I can do it. I was told and may have been misinformed that the PE could only produce a flat grind. Maybe, I was misinformed.

WriteON

My first skew was an Sorby oval skew. I sharpen it freehand...not hard to do - if I can do it. I was told and may have been misinformed that the PE could only produce a flat grind. Maybe, I was misinformed.

Flat grind only looks correct. Sometimes we have to buy something to see what we have. I'm learning. Everything is a learning experience. This is new to me.

Last edited:

SteveG

Frank, have you viewed the video on using the Sorby PE? It runs thru the various ways to sharpen assorted tools, including the oval skew. I found myself somewhat uncomfortable at first, using the PE, but soon learned to use the tool effectively. Laying back the angle of the belt so that you are comfortable when presenting the tool to be sharpened to the belt is important, along with just a bit of practice. You will grow to really appreciate the PE.

WriteON

Frank, have you viewed the video on using the Sorby PE? It runs thru the various ways to sharpen assorted tools, including the oval skew. I found myself somewhat uncomfortable at first, using the PE, but soon learned to use the tool effectively. Laying back the angle of the belt so that you are comfortable when presenting the tool to be sharpened to the belt is important, along with just a bit of practice. You will grow to really appreciate the PE.

Hi Steve. Have watched few videos. I'm getting familiar with the PE. I know about angling the belt. Uncomfortable is the word for now...but will soon be a veteran. I have a good feeling about the machine. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

WriteON

WriteON

Getting familiar. I bought a flat 1/2 skew...The edge was anything but beautiful looking so I decided to hit the belt. Not perfect but quite sharp. I'm satisfied for now. Also tried to freehand an oval skew. Looks like a 1st time sharpening by a rookie. I didn't butcher it. Regardless it is sharp and cuts real nice. Will get better each time. I like the belt technique. Also squared a project I'm working on.

Shock me

Good strop leather can be a fussy thing. I would NOT buy it sight unseen from an Amazon seller who sells one piece of leather with two different compounds and suggests you use one on each side. No!, the leather must be well glued to the wood substrate. If you diy, I'd visit a Tandy leather and pick out my own piece or buy from a reputable internet leather source. Alternatively, consider this
https://www.knivesplus.com/KP-STROP8-STROPBLOCK.html
which is an awesome strop, and comes precharged with compound

Shock me

The one I linked to comes precharged w compound, so that's used as is. I haven't yet gotten to where I feel like it needed recharging. If you diy, yes, I would work some compound into the leather. Stropping would be the last step after whatever sharpening method you use. I usually re-strop as I begin each new turning and re-sharpen only when the stropping doesn't bring my edge back to sharp enough

And you prolly know this, but pull the edge backwards on the strop, because you'll gouge the leather moving the edge forward.

Last edited:

WriteON

The one I linked to comes precharged w compound, so that's used as is. I haven't yet gotten to where I feel like it needed recharging. If you diy, yes, I would work some compound into the leather. Stropping would be the last step after whatever sharpening method you use. I usually re-strop as I begin each new turning and re-sharpen only when the stropping doesn't bring my edge back to sharp enough

And you prolly know this, but pull the edge backwards on the strop, because you'll gouge the leather moving the edge forward.

Thanks for your help. Ordering and will follow up.

WriteON

Got the Knives plus yesterday. Says clean tool before stroping. How do you clean? Simply wipe with rag? Use a compound or polish.

Top Bottom