Sorby micro turning tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MiteyF

I picked up this set of 4 Sorby micro tools on ebay a few months ago for a very princely sum, sort of on a whim. All of them had terrible grinds (although I'm sure mine aren't great either). After I sharpened them, I decided to try them out not too long ago to see if they were worth having in the tool box, or if they were more toys than tools. Surprisingly, I think I may have found my favorite pen tool among them.

ezJj7nH.jpg

5PA9K4F.jpg

The RNS likes to chatter, unless my tool rest is VERY close to the work.
The skew is a fun toy, and I think it may be very handy on my next set of fishing bobbers.
The 1/8" gouge... well, I haven't found a use for it yet. Even at 32 years old with 20/20 vision, I can hardly see the damn thing well enough to use it!

The 1/4" gouge however, has become one of my absolute favorite tools for turning small things like pens. With a good sharp edge, it cuts smooth as can be and leave a wonderful finish. And if you're brave, it will remove material almost as quickly as my Sorby 3/8" fingernail gouge (currently my favorite pen turning tool).

u85MevM.jpg

9cquuRK.jpg

Does anyone here use any of these for your much smaller than average turns?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John Eldeen

I had a 1/4 spindle gouge for quite a while that I never used because I just thought it was too small to do anything with, then one day I was having trouble with some detail work so I used it. The little gouge is now one of my favorites for turning beads and other little details.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have been told numerous times that I notice patterns early on. Bowl/spindle turners who come into pen turning bring their skills, tools (and terminology) with them. ;) "Micro" to me, and many others means something totally different - such as making micro sized items in small train sets or doll houses.

The Sorby "Micro" set is the "Normal" set size for pen turning. I have full size turning tools and pen turning size also. While I only have a few Sorby tools, I do use HSS more extensively and really enjoy the sharpness I can achieve with HSS - that I have not been able to feel in feedback with carbide inserts. Sorby does make high quality tools.

Another pattern that is noticeable - Many who start their turning experience with pens do not fully understand the concept of "sharpness", and instead of investing in a good sharpening system and learning how to shape and sharpen tools - will jump to carbide insert tools. In a way, I don't blame them as it lets them get started quicker and focus on the results. But as for me, I do enjoy quality HSS tools and the feedback feel that comes with them.

MiteyF

Lee, I am one of those turners who started with pens, and HSS. I have one carbide tool that I don't particularly like, but am going to make another soon when there's nothing on the mill during my lunch break, just to see if it's the tool, and not the carbide. I've been turning a few years now, but still very much consider myself a beginner, and I still don't fully understand the appeal of carbide. In fact, if I had started with carbide instead of HSS, I don't know that I'd still be turning.

howsitwork

Made my own 1/2" round skew and enjoyed using it so much I the made a 1/4" one. Great for finishing end grain on small projects or getting into corners where a larger shaft would get in the way. Excellent for small beads and v cuts and , although I like the mass of the larger 1/2" version for planing cuts on pens , it does get used for that too as it's so much faster to touch up on the diamond hone before that final shaving.
Also excellent as a negative rake scraper to deal with a little bit of torn grain in difficult spots.

Top Bottom