Sonic Fountain Pen, Bash Entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Penultimate

Penultimate

Greetings
I'm a Doctor Who fan, I was reading a Doctor Who book and noticed a picture of the 9th & 10th Doctor's sonic screwdriver. It looked like something I could recreate into a fountain pen. i started by searching the 'net for dimension, found some then scaled the picture in the book. Designed it all in Fusion 360.

The main body is a cellulose acetate screwdriver handle with two slots milled in it that show the converter. All the silver parts are Aluminum. The cap was the hardest part to make. It consists of 11 parts. The center section has four milled openings that are filled with clear windows cut and filed to fit from an acrylic tube. The four raised ribs were aluminum rods milled flat then filed to fit the cap curve and epoxied in place The blue hemisphere is part of a diamond cast blank.

I painted a cracked finish on the body using white glue and latex paint.The sonic becomes cracked due to overloading.

It was a fun project.

Thanks for voting for me.

Sonic 1.jpg
Sonic 2.jpg
sonic parts.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fine Engineer

Wow! An absolutely inspired work of art, beautifully executed.

Care to elaborate on how you got that cracked paint finish? I like the effect.

Penultimate

Hi
Thanks for the very nice comments.

There are several ways to make the crackle finish including special paint that makes the crackle finish. Klingspor has it in their catalog.

I painted a base color and let it dry thoroughly. Then applied a light coat of white glue over the base coat. As it starts to dry paint the top coat. When the glue dries it shrinks causing the the top coat to separate like cracks. It took me three tries to get a finish I liked.

Top Bottom