Son of Skew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

Anyone have problems playing this video in there computers? I rented it from a tech video service, and couldn't play it. I reported it and sent it back, thinking the DVD was faulty. I got my new one today with the same problem. I put it in my home DVD player and it played fine. I like to watch these things in my PC, so I don't bore the rest of the family with it. My computer doesn't even think there is anything on the disc!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Possiblity maybe that your PC's DVD player is "DVD-R" and the DVD was recorded as "DVD+R" or reverse of that, there is also a DVD ROM format I think?

cozee

Originally posted by penhead
<br />Possiblity maybe that your PC's DVD player is "DVD-R" and the DVD was recorded as "DVD+R" or reverse of that, there is also a DVD ROM format I think?

Yes, there are different DVD formats and if the one's computer unit isn't compatible, no viewing. My soon-in-law had gotten permission fromm Yoyospin to download and burn me copies of his videos since I am on a weak dial-up (usually 26kps at best). It will play on the home DVD player but not on my computer do to the format it was burnt.

mdburn_em

I only recently purchased this video. I received it Thursday.
I have 2 DVD drives in my computer. One reads and the other is a read/writer. They both recognized and played this video just fine.
Hope that helps in some way.

woodwish

<br />Possiblity maybe that your PC's DVD player is "DVD-R" and the DVD was recorded as "DVD+R" or reverse of that, there is also a DVD ROM format I think?

Actually this shouldn't matter. -R and +R refer to the dye layer used in the recording process and which laser is used to burn the DVD. With the exception of some first generation DVD players in computers the recording format makes no difference.

Unfortunately DVD recording is not a standard process, some recorders are just not compatible with others. Usually it's more of problem with DVD players instead of computers. The biggest problem here is that there is no easy answer.

Sometimes it can be as easy as cleaning the fingerprints off of it, or trying a different DVD player software. If you have an older computer with a first generation player it may just not be compatible with certain encodinng processes.

Guess actually I have said a lot to say that don't have a clue as to why it doesn't work. Sorry, wish I had a better answer.

Woodnknots

Thanks for all the opinions, fellas. I have a computer that I just recently built, and it has all brand new, good quality components in it. I have to LG DVD burners that are compatible with -R and +R and are also dual layer capable. This video plays fine in my DVD player for the TV. I'm at a loss. I know that it's probably not the software, as when I open "my computer", it doesn't even show any files on the disk, but it does show the size as over 7 gig when I hold the cursor over the DVDROM icon with the disc in it. I've tried Nero and Windows media to play it, but they keep telling me there is no media to play. It's more a problem that my computer doesn't even recognize that I have a disc in the drive than it won't play.

Woodnknots

<br />Dave,
Have you tried another DVD disc in your PC DVD device?
Preferably one you have played in PC before, and does it work?
first thing I thought of. I tried several, they all work. Alan lancer's first disc (dark side and sweet side) works fine. I'm at a loss.

Thumbs

I have had this same problem with Bill Grumbine's Bowl Turning video! Anybody else with any experience about that one?[V][:(]

Rudy Vey

I am not very computer savvy, but couldn't it be that they have somehow installed a security device on the DVD, so it cannot be copied??
On a normal DVD player it can be played and watched, but on a DVD drive in a computer, the chance is given it is copied, and, therefore, it will not work.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by Rudy Vey
<br />I am not very computer savvy, but couldn't it be that they have somehow installed a security device on the DVD, so it cannot be copied??
On a normal DVD player it can be played and watched, but on a DVD drive in a computer, the chance is given it is copied, and, therefore, it will not work.
I have decrypting software, and I actually checked for just that, in case that was what was going on. There is no encryption on any of these discs. It's not surprising, though. These aren't hollywood production companies that can afford to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom