Sometimes you feel like a nut...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from karlkuehn

karlkuehn

Banned
Well, this didn't go quite according to plan. [B)][:p]

Willy Wonka meets Dr. Seuss.

I don't even know where to start about what went wrong on this one! Nice finish on it, and it works well, though. heh

Remember Picasso's Blue Period? Yeah...well, this isn't anything like that. Can't win 'em all, I guess! This one's definitely going in the 'keep' box. 'Nuff said.

One of my "Crush" resin blanks, chrome Euro from Ernie at Bear Tooth Woods.

ResinCrush2_1.jpg

ResinCrush2_2.jpg

Comments, questions and suggestions welcome...uh...yeah...

:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I like it Karl, it has that granit look! My rings and bands never seem to look that nice. I'll have to tell the wife I need more tools!

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by rjwolfe3

That is cool looking. Where can I find info to make those beads? I know you mentioned it on one of your other pens you did.

The first time I actually saw the process of making beads was on Ed Davidson's videos (YoYoSpin), and he made it look so easy I thought 'that doesn't look too hard' and immediately destroyed 3 blanks. Now, I just take my time with the skew and cut them in and round them over as best I can. Watching Alan Lacer's skew videos was tremendous help, but he makes it look easy too. Practice and the willingness to sacrifice some blanks. I've been forcing myself to do all these with just a skew, so that's been a little weird, too.

I'm right on the verge of committing my 1" P&N skew to a rounded edge instead of straight. I rounded over my HF skews to see how I like it, and while it took some getting used to, I'm having a lot less catches and the tool's a lot more versatile.

My new 1/2" P&N skew came today, and I'm definitely going to round that one over like Richard Raffan's and Alan Lacer's.

That big bead on the upper barrel at the center band is right on the verge of being a captive ring, but after I ground my dental pick into a tiny captive ring tool and started digging away, I stopped because I wasn't sure how it would look to have one sloppy ring and a bunch of beads on the same piece.

As busy as that thing turned out, I might as well have gone ahead and done finished it off. Not like you'd notice any other design 'over the topness' on there. heh

I tell you one thing, those beads are Micromesh killers. They'll melt a line in the abrasive lickety split when dry sanded. [B)]:D

At least I got to practice a bunch of stuff I've been wanting to try. The twist joint is actually a ball and socket kind of thing. The ball is on the upper tube and the socket is on the lower, hiding the joint line between the two and shortening the lower barrel a little bit.

Top Bottom