Something I use on the central coast

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dl351

dl351

Hello everyone. I haven't been here long, but I thought I'd share a picture of some things I've made. I go to school (college) on the central coast of California. During my first year attending, I found that the school had a surfboard shaping class. I'd wanted to learn to surf, and I thought it would be that much more fun to learn how to surf on a board that I made! So, I signed up for the class and shaped a surfboard! This involves shaping from very rough surfboard blank to get the desired dimensions and contours of the final shape. The first board I shaped is an 8' fun shape. I shaped it, painted the stripes on it, made a logo for it, and then had the instructor glass it. I enjoyed shaping and painting the board so much that I decided to shape another one at the instructor's shop. I figured that unless I always live on the coast, this will probably be the only time I have to shape surfboards. The second is a 6' Fish. That one is the orange one. The third one I shaped is actually for my significant other. I shaped it at the shop and made a logo for it. The color combo and style she wanted is a "swirly" pink and green resin dye, so I had the instructor do the colors in the glassing process. Here are some pictures of the boards:

4424163338_7136da0f29_b.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF7613.jpg
    DSCF7613.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCF7615.jpg
    DSCF7615.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCF7270.jpg
    DSCF7270.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 154
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Nice looking boards. I always wanted to surf so I tried it out about a year and a half ago while in San Diego. I realized then I should have tried it when I was younger. lol My entire body hurt for two days. Had a lot of fun but found out water can be hard when you fall....over and over and over. Nice work!

dl351

Nice looking boards. I always wanted to surf so I tried it out about a year and a half ago while in San Diego. I realized then I should have tried it when I was younger. lol My entire body hurt for two days. Had a lot of fun but found out water can be hard when you fall....over and over and over. Nice work!

Yeah, I tried to learn the hard way, with no regard for how big the waves were for my skill. Everyone said to learn on the little 1-2ft waves, but I kept trying to go out on days when the waves were 5-6ft. A few dents and busted fin box later, I'm glad to go out on the small days. I've found out that I must have terrible balance!

JohnU

Yeah, I tried to learn the hard way, with no regard for how big the waves were for my skill. Everyone said to learn on the little 1-2ft waves, but I kept trying to go out on days when the waves were 5-6ft. A few dents and busted fin box later, I'm glad to go out on the small days. I've found out that I must have terrible balance!

LOL, I even had an instructor who enjoyed seeing me beaten by the waves. I only wish he felt my pain later. lol
I came to realize that Im not as young as I thought. I just wish my wife and kids werent so eager to remind me. :)

nava1uni

Your boards are really cool. You really did a great job on them. I live in San Francisco and they surf just down the road from my house. There are lots of surfers and an amazing array of boards.

Jgrden

Central Coast has to be San Luis Obispo. Morro Bay, Cayucos, Los Osos, Shell Beach, Pismo Beach.

Oh and by the way, nice work. Now make a pen using the same techniques.

dl351

Central Coast has to be San Luis Obispo. Morro Bay, Cayucos, Los Osos, Shell Beach, Pismo Beach.

Oh and by the way, nice work. Now make a pen using the same techniques.

You got the location! San Luis Obispo, to be precise!

Make a pen using the same techniques?! You want me to use a power hand planer, a regular hand planer, spoke shaves, and sandpaper with nothing but eyeballing to make it evenly round?! If anyone here can do that, I'll bow down to you!

Top Bottom