Something going wrong with CA glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello,

I have around 40 blanks (wood and corian) glued up now and as I am using the barrel trimmer I am finding that around 1/2 the blanks are coming loose from the brass tube. I am using CA (gel type) and I put a small bead on the sandpapered tube and some in the hole. Then when I insert the tube I rotate it until I get it into position. They have sat overnight before I use the barrel trimmer.

This failure rate is wasting a lot of my time. Am I doing something wrong? Have you experienced the same thing?

Thanks
Rusty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

I've never liked the idea of CA for gluing tubes. simply seems to me it woudl be hard to get good coverage, but that's just how my mind bends around it. I like poly glue for pretty much the same reasons though. the way it foams up just strickes me that it woudl work it's way into every nook and cranny. but I've had more failures with it than any glue yet. and I fix them at teh lathe with CA and they work every time. so much for what I imagine eh!
the other though I had was. Are you roughing up the tubes with sandpaper?
and possibly any tarnish on the tube could be interfearing with the bond. but that
s the best I can even imagine. I know the Ca I am buying for the Bulk Buy Program says even the thick fills a gap only .007 wide. what kind of space do you have between the hole and tube?
then theirs always Gremlins, nasty Gremlins...

pen-turners

Rusty,
I have to say that GEL CA Glue is probably the worst thing I have ever used to glue tubes. I have found that Gel does not cure well in the center part of the blank and that is probably why they are breaking loose on you. It is also very expensive when compared to THICK CA glue. My preferred glue for wood blanks is Gorilla Glue. The only problem is that you have to let it cure for 24 hours. I have NEVER had a blank bust loose from the tube when using Gorilla glue and I don't even sand the tubes. Of course, the high humidity here in Hawaii helps the Gorilla Glue fill gaps better than most places. My second choice for glueing is THICK CA. I only use this when I need to glue up a blank for turning and have to have it ready right away. I have never used Gel before but have heard that many other people have the same problems that you are having. Hope this helps.

Chris

jimr

I had the same problem then I was advised that I was probably not putting enough glue on the brass tube. I use the medium thick CA and I started putting about 3 beads of glue on the entire length of the tube, twisting it as I inserted in the blank and that cured my problem. There is always some glue that oozes out at the end where I start the tube. I generally do this on several blanks and let them cure overnight but that probably isn't necessary. I have also use polyurethane glue and apply it in the same manner. It really does foam up and fill any gaps. There is also more ooze out at both ends and it does take overnight to cure good. But both glues have been successful when I have used more glue on the brass tube. I always sand the tubes also.

Randy

Rusty
I use the HOT STUFF CA glue and I put the thin down the hole before inserting the roughed up tube with medium thick CA. I use three lines of glue about 120 degrees apart. I have not had one glue failure on 7mm pen kits. On larger holes I use Gorilla glue. I find that many times the large tubes are difficult to get them where I want them to be before the CA glue sets up.

G

Hello,

Thanks guys for your advice. I will try 3 beads of glue and if that doesn't work I will try the poly glue.

It sure does feel better to have a plan of attack.

Thanks
Rusty

NCTurner

Rusty,

I use mainly poly glue now (mainly because of the fumes), but I have done hundreds upon hundreds of pens with thick CA, and no blowouts at all since my first 25 pens or so. I don't think you get as good of coverage by putting glue on the tube, as much of it is pushed off as the tube is inserted. I always put a good amount of glue on the inside of the blank, and then slide the tube in, twisting it. I also like to watch the glue go about 2/3 of the way down inside the blank, rotating the blank as it flows downard, leaving good coverage. I usually put one line of glue on the tube right before inserting, but I don't know that really adds much. Furthermore, if you will put a small amount of modeling clay or similar in the end of the tube before inserting it, it not only keeps the glue out of the tube, but it also helps push the glue forward, giving even better coverage.

Doug Jones

I am by no means an expert. But I too have switched to Elmers Poly glue. Mainly for the same problem that Rusty is having. I tried gel super glue and I almost always cracked half the blank off the tube. Good luck.

leenollie

Good morning Rusty,

I was having almost the same problem. Mine, though, was blowups when turning. I noticed that towards the ends of the tubes, there was hardly any glue. I was using the fast dry Loctite Super Bonder 414 at the time. I switched to a 60-second drying CA and started swabbing the drill holes using a Q-Tip. Since then, I haven't had a blowup (other than intentional.) As a side bonus, I notice that the glue buildup inside the tubes is minimal. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Lee Biggers
The ever curious pen turner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom