Something from scrap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CjG78

G'day!
Found this peg at work in the rubbish pile. Surveyor's peg. I work in construction and see alot of things go to waste. Alot of the pegs are uninteresting but this piece caught my eye. I have no idea of the variety. It had a pleasant sweet fruity smell, quite an open grain and somewhere between a hardwood and semi hardwood.
I was pleasantly surprised with the rich red colour that appeared when I took a slice!
The pic of the raw piece and turned piece has linseed oil applied to show the final colour. I do that with most blanks that I turn round, to see if I Like it enough to use.

Fully sleeved with epoxy, abalone coin in the cap finial, Jowo #6 nib and CA finish.
Thanks for looking!
(Crappy indoor pics, sorry)
Casey.

Attachments

• 20210905_210524.jpg
    20210905_210524.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 20210905_210609.jpg
    20210905_210609.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 197
  • 20210905_210653.jpg
    20210905_210653.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 20210905_210724.jpg
    20210905_210724.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 205
  • Screenshot_20210905-213108_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210905-213108_Messenger.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Screenshot_20210905-213132_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210905-213132_Messenger.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 208
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Very nice. I see your in Australia. The reason I looked is that several years ago I was told to go to furniture stores and look at their pallets. They said when they receive items from out of the country, the country of origin will use whatever wood they have available to make the pallets. Just curious if that's the case with what you found. Common wood to some may be harder to get for others. It a very pretty pen and so is the cutoff.

Fred Bruche

Very attractive wood and you made a superb pen. I'm not convinced the abalone finial works in this context, there's already a lot going on with the wood itself. I'm guessing the wood could be Tasmanian blackwood, which wouldn't be too exotic for Australia (like finding curly maple in pallets and crates around here).

magpens

Beaut pen, Casey !!! . . Thanks for showing !!!

You say sleeved with epoxy . . . does that mean you made an epoxy rod to go inside the wood ?

Also, what are the max. diameters of the body . . . . and of the cap ?

Please and thank you !!

CjG78

Beaut pen, Casey !!! . . Thanks for showing !!!

You say sleeved with epoxy . . . does that mean you made an epoxy rod to go inside the wood ?

Also, what are the max. diameters of the body . . . . and of the cap ?

Please and thank you !!
Thanks Mal
I turned an epoxy resin blank round to the required diameter and length then drilled the hole into the timber and glued in the epoxy resin rod. Then drilled the internals to the required size and the timber is fully lined. There is about 1.5 mm thick of sleeve throughout.
Max diameter is up to you. Minimum diam on this design was 15.5 on the cap, as it requires a 12.5 mm hole for the threads, which takes it over 13 mm, so that leaves 2.5 mm of timber left

magpens

Thanks Mal
I turned an epoxy resin blank round to the required diameter and length then drilled the hole into the timber and glued in the epoxy resin rod. Then drilled the internals to the required size and the timber is fully lined. There is about 1.5 mm thick of sleeve throughout.
Max diameter is up to you. Minimum diam on this design was 15.5 on the cap, as it requires a 12.5 mm hole for the threads, which takes it over 13 mm, so that leaves 2.5 mm of timber left

@CjG78

Thanks, Casey. . I realize that the minimum diameters depend on the internal component sizes, but . . . .

What I wanted to know was .... What are the ACTUAL max finished diameters of barrel and cap for the pen that you made and showed ?

Thanks

Last edited:

sorcerertd

Wow, that is a beautiful piece of scrap! Love the color. I do agree with Fred about the abalone. It does look good, but a piece of blackwood would be more to my personal taste. You are doing amazing work on kitless pens, though!

Weldon0405

Casey, this is exquisite. If you don't mind me asking, what did you use for the thin black and white layers between the section and body? Cheers!

CjG78

@CjG78

Thanks, Casey. . I realize that the minimum diameters depend on the internal component sizes, but . . . .

What I wanted to know was .... What are the ACTUAL max finished diameters of barrel and cap for the pen that you made and showed ?

Thanks
Sorry Mal I misinterpreted that. So the cap is 15.6mm tapered to 13.8, and the barrel is 14.8 tapered to 10 mm

magpens

Sorry Mal I misinterpreted that. So the cap is 15.6mm tapered to 13.8, and the barrel is 14.8 tapered to 10 mm

@CjG78
Thanks very much, Casey.
I have made a lot of "kitless" ballpoints, but I have not made many "kitless" FPs, so I am just feeling my way with them. Just ordered some nibs.
I already have taps and dies.
Your info helps me a lot

CjG78

@CjG78
Thanks very much, Casey.
I have made a lot of "kitless" ballpoints, but I have not made many "kitless" FPs, so I am just feeling my way with them. Just ordered some nibs.
I already have taps and dies.
Your info helps me a lot
I look forward to seeing how they go mate!!

Brumar72

G'day!
Found this peg at work in the rubbish pile. Surveyor's peg. I work in construction and see alot of things go to waste. Alot of the pegs are uninteresting but this piece caught my eye. I have no idea of the variety. It had a pleasant sweet fruity smell, quite an open grain and somewhere between a hardwood and semi hardwood.
I was pleasantly surprised with the rich red colour that appeared when I took a slice!
The pic of the raw piece and turned piece has linseed oil applied to show the final colour. I do that with most blanks that I turn round, to see if I Like it enough to use.

Fully sleeved with epoxy, abalone coin in the cap finial, Jowo #6 nib and CA finish.
Thanks for looking!
(Crappy indoor pics, sorry)
Casey.
That's really beautiful. I like the pen.

Top Bottom