Something for the "APP"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Grampy

I have found in my 1 day using the "app", it is handy in researching. Especially when I am looking to buy a kit (or 2 or 3 or 10). The various websites "hide" the information in different ways. I commend the makers (of the app), the multiple ways to search are a bonus. It is obvious (to me) the app was created by actual users.

Since one of my hobbies includes "wrenching" on my car collection this "kit" caught my eye.
A wrench click pen kit, the multicolor cocobolo blank I used really gives it a look I like. It was my 1st experiment with the "CA" coating for a finish.

My favorite pen that I've made (so it is for me).

wrench pen.jpg

I didn't see this pen / kit in the app, {WoodRiver - Wrench Click Pen Kit Gun Metal}

It may be helpful in the app because the site (woodcraft) only lists the bushings as "Bushings for Wrench Click Pen Kits", it does not give dimensions etc. Further researsh (in the pdf instructions, showed the dimensions)

Turns out they are identical to the PSI PKCP3000BU bushings I already had. Having more than 1 set of (identical) bushings isn't a bad thing.. they are small, not too expensive and don't add 'much' to the mess known as my workshop. šŸ˜ šŸ˜

I included the pdf instructions if the right person wishes to add to the app..

Attachments

• Wrench pen instructions162262.77D99.Wres.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 400
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Grampy

Well done Joe, that looks very nice. Looks like you are having fun.
THANX... It is fun, but I gotta admit, I am struggling with that CA finish..especially on the "acrylic" blanks I've tried..

It sounds like it is supposed to be quick, but I can't seem to get it right . and re-sand back down to eliminate the "bumps /threads/ridges" I keep getting.

I've chk'd the library files, and those (you) guys make it sound easy..

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks, Joe
Your compliments on the app design are greatly appreciated.

Thanks also for the Wrench Kit info. We are working on an update to the database and will be sure to include that kit & info.

Very nice job on that pen!

Edgar

AdventiveIowa

I'm confused. The app I use to read this forum is called Tapatalk. Is that the app to which you are referring? Or am I missing something?

-Hank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Beasley

THANX... It is fun, but I gotta admit, I am struggling with that CA finish..especially on the "acrylic" blanks I've tried..

It sounds like it is supposed to be quick, but I can't seem to get it right . and re-sand back down to eliminate the "bumps /threads/ridges" I keep getting...
Acrylic blanks dont need CA unless theres a defect youre trying to repair, just polish the plastic. As far as the ridges, you may be using a too rough surface applicator or trying to wipe for too long after you get the CA on. My best results are a single back and forth wipe with the proper amount of CA to cover.

Curly

I'm confused. The app I use to read this forum is called Tapatalk. Is that the app to which you are referring? Or am I missing something?

-Hank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The app being discussed is the IAP BushNTubes app that you can get from Apple's App Store. I think it costs about a buck. It has a lot of information on the kit tube, bushing and drill bit sizes from different sellers.

sorcerertd

Looks good! I've had my eye on those kits, but have not sprung for them just yet. I had to laugh at the favorite pen comment, though. I'll bet you will have quite a few favorite pens. I'm still working on getting the CA just right, too. I've found that putting a lot of coats on and then scraping it even with a carbide cutter to work well, but I get much better results turning between centers now that I've started that; a lot less out of round problems.

Woodfreak

It sounds like it is supposed to be quick, but I can't seem to get it right . and re-sand back down to eliminate the "bumps /threads/ridges" I keep getting.

I've chk'd the library files, and those (you) guys make it sound easy..
Hi. Just scrolling through the posts. I may be a bit late for this reply, but seeing as I have not been a member very long, here goes. First, you don't need to apply CA on acrylics. After turning the pen, I sand from 120-600. Then I wet micro mesh from 1500-12000. Nine grades.finaly I apply a coat of burnishing cream, then turn the lathe to max revs and buff with paper towel. If your pen is wood, then after it's turned sand 120-600. Apply denatured alcohol, to remove any dust. Then with the lathe on very low revs, I apply six coats of medium CA using accelerator after every application. Then repeat as above the same as acrylic. My pens, be they acrylic or wood, always get a glass finish. I state that this is what I do, there are a thousand and one different ways of finishing. But this works for me.

Top Bottom