Something Fishy's Going On Here.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from btboone

btboone

Redfish to be exact. As any fisherman will know, this is a redfish. OK, so I'm not a fisherman. I didn't know the fish had such a following. :biggrin:

Attachments

• redfish.jpg
    redfish.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 462
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bluwolf

Another slick one and I'm not into fish either. I'd say you're pretty comfortable with that thing now.

btboone

Thanks guys. Brad, that's a YAG laser, which has a tight enough beam (.0007") and enough power to vaporize the metal. I convert graphics to vectors, and for this particular artwork, I used a 5 color grayscale for power settings.

studioso

Bruce,
How's your experience with the laser coming along?
It probably 3-4 months you have it, right?
And from a business prospective, is it paying off? Do your costumers appreciate the product?

glycerine

Bruce, if you don't already, you should look into making some "Lord of the Rings" rings, you know, the gold one with the inscription around the outside and inside...

1.jpg

btboone

The laser is doing well. I'm finally able to dial it in and get what I was looking for the first time out now. I still have a few new tricks I want to try with it. It will still be a while before it pays for itself, but I got it for the long haul. I'm doing a lot of special artwork type rings. I did a batch of 10 for a motorcycle company the other day and am doing one today with various logos and such. A Lord of the Rings design is certainly possible, but I would assume they have copyright protection on it.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
What is copyrighted

Bruce, you're right about the Lord of the Rings Ring, It's Copyright protected. And the have taken action on a few unlucky souls.
I would think that only the inscription could be copyright protected. Certainly rings with inscriptions have been around for centruies.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Yes, but Tolkein (who was a linguist) invented the language, script, and idea of the One Ring to Rule Them All
(one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them)....

Geeze - haven't read that book in about two decades, but I still remember it. That was a good book (and a crappy set of movies!) :)

Nice fish, Bruce - looks like a Walleye, but for the long fin behind the dorsal fin!

76winger

I was thinking it looked like a carp :). I've been around several fish over the years and housed tropical fish on and off for about 40 years now. But I've not heard of a Redfish. Guess it's time to do some Googling...

ETA: OK looks like it's a variation of the Snapper family. I've heard of those:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redfish

Last edited:
Top Bottom