Something a Little Different

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

It seems like this is the season for new kits! I got a box in the mail yesterday from Berea Hardwoods with some of thise new kits. Berea calls them the Streamlined Roundtop.

It is essentially the same pen as the Streamlined Slimline, only with a round top, and what Larry at Berea calls a teardrop clip. If you're a fan of the Streamlined Slimline like I am, I think you're going to love this new kit!

The nib end bushing and the center bushing are the same size as those in the Streamlined Slimline, and the top bushing is the same size as the center bushing, which seems to give the pen a bit more mass. It feels like a much more substantial pen, and it seems amazing to me that it is based on the same "guts" as the lowly slimline pen!

I made this particular pen from a nice piece of Mexican Bocote I bought from Ruth Niles about a year ago. I think this kit will do well in some of the acrylics as well. BTW, Larry at Berea says they have their new catalog coming out this month, so if you're not on their mailing list yet, get signed up now!

Scott.

2004111141522_roundtop.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wpenm

I like the new pen style Scott. I am partial to the larger pens because they tend to show the beauty of the wood grains more. Great job and thanks for the info.
Garry

melogic

Scott,
Really nice looking pen. This is my wifes favorite pen (streamline). She is chomping at the bit to get on the line with Berea to get some of these ordered. Thanks for sharing.
P.S.
Does the round top screw on like the European, or is it pressed on?

Scott

Hi Mark,

When I shook the finial out of the bag it looked like it was just a press in. But the round top does un-screw so you can mount the clip, just as you suspect. The new clip and the round-top are subtle changes, but they make quite a difference to the pen. It just looks more substantial, and longer, and it changes the balance in the hand, in a good way!

She may as well just call the guys at Berea and order these up! They had no instructions ready yet, but if you've made the Streamlined Slimline, you'll be able to put these together just fine!

Scott.

its_virgil

Scott,
I just got a message from the SADL (Slimline Anit-Defimation League and one of their lawyers will be contacting you about your comments re: "the Lowly slimline". :) Any lawyers in Blackfoot? have a good weekend.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Scott
<br />It seems like this is the season for new kits! I got a box in the mail yesterday from Berea Hardwoods with some of thise new kits. Berea calls them the Streamlined Roundtop.

It is essentially the same pen as the Streamlined Slimline, only with a round top, and what Larry at Berea calls a teardrop clip. If you're a fan of the Streamlined Slimline like I am, I think you're going to love this new kit!

The nib end bushing and the center bushing are the same size as those in the Streamlined Slimline, and the top bushing is the same size as the center bushing, which seems to give the pen a bit more mass. It feels like a much more substantial pen, and it seems amazing to me that it is based on the same "guts" as the lowly slimline pen!

I made this particular pen from a nice piece of Mexican Bocote I bought from Ruth Niles about a year ago. I think this kit will do well in some of the acrylics as well. BTW, Larry at Berea says they have their new catalog coming out this month, so if you're not on their mailing list yet, get signed up now!

Scott.

2004111141522_roundtop.jpg
<br />

Scott

OK Don, you got me! I guess it's time I fess up to being a defamer of slimline pen kits! And here I thought I was being subtle all these years by saying "it's a great kit, especially if you change it by doing blah blah blah". ;-)

Scott.

its_virgil

Its only a great kit if it is changed and changed a lot. When we were finished with the Fort worth Turnathon at WC yesterday, I had 20 Cb's left and one of the guys there was going through the kits to find the ones that "someone forgot to put the #$%@#$% CBs on." I just kept quiet. :-0 He may still be looking for those 20 pens.
Do a good turn daily!
don
Originally posted by Scott
<br />OK Don, you got me! I guess it's time I fess up to being a defamer of slimline pen kits! And here I thought I was being subtle all these years by saying "it's a great kit, especially if you change it by doing blah blah blah". ;-)

Scott.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The way you guys, among others, turn and assemble these kits, it may well be the greatest kit out there. I aspire to reach those same heights with the slimline. [8D]

its_virgil

Lou,
It is a great kit for customizing and creativity. It is easy to adapt, forgiving and simple, as is the 7mm euro, which is baically a slimline. When an idea doesn't work out, only $1.50 or so is lost. When a design is successful, then it can be moved to other kits. I like the versitle slimline, but some kit has to be the lowly one, and I guess Scott's description fits.But I know he called it lowly in a loving kind of way.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />The way you guys, among others, turn and assemble these kits, it may well be the greatest kit out there. I aspire to reach those same heights with the slimline. [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom