Some samples of my work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PhillN

Thought I would post some examples of what I make. I also cast my own blanks.

Attachments

• abalone EDC.jpg
    abalone EDC.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 280
  • box of pens.jpg
    box of pens.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 301
  • jt statesmen.jpg
    jt statesmen.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 290
  • military.jpg
    military.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 274
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Your work represents your talents very well. Looks good. The abalone, is that sheets that you need to cut in thin strips or is it the stuff you can heat and roll onto tube?? If you are cutting in strips what are you using and what do you use to adhere to tube. Thanks for showing.

PhillN

Your work represents your talents very well. Looks good. The abalone, is that sheets that you need to cut in thin strips or is it the stuff you can heat and roll onto tube?? If you are cutting in strips what are you using and what do you use to adhere to tube. Thanks for showing.
It is the sheet stuff. I actually score it very lightly to give the effect of strips. The adhesive is VERY strong so I would suggest using a label rolling jig as you will only get the one chance to stick it to the tube. Also by scoring it is harder to find the join line:)

jttheclockman

It is the sheet stuff. I actually score it very lightly to give the effect of strips. The adhesive is VERY strong so I would suggest using a label rolling jig as you will only get the one chance to stick it to the tube. Also by scoring it is harder to find the join line:)
Now that is different. Never heard of anyone doing that. Are you using an exacto knife for the scoring and are you doing this in 1/8" increments??

PhillN

Now that is different. Never heard of anyone doing that. Are you using an exacto knife for the scoring and are you doing this in 1/8" increments??
I started to do this because it cracks very easily and also was not happy with seeing the joint. I turn the knife upside-down so it does not cut too deeply. I don't have a standard width I just score across in approximately equal part. depending upon the tube being wrapped. Personally I prefer to still wrap in a single sheet and hide the joint behind the clip but wanted to try this to see if it would work. the key is to NOT have an overlap like you would with a label but that requires very accurate cutting. So I also color part of the brass tube with a spray paint in a similar color to the abalone just incase the piece is a little short.

Top Bottom