Some of my Birdhouse ornaments I have made over the years

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Here are some photos of birdhouse ornaments I have made over the years using various woods. I liked the Holly wood and Black Ebony the best. I also dyed a few using Rit dyes. Some of the photos are not too clear. Sorry about that. They are older photos.
bird ornaments.jpg
Copy of IMGP0525.JPG
Copy of IMGP0527.JPG
IMGP0086.JPG
IMGP0486.JPG
CopyofIMGP0145.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I probably should mention a few things. The ornament in the clear box is how I sell them. So they are all made around the same dimentions. Sold quite a few of these over the years. I think I am down to about 6 left. Do need to make more. Have many more new ideas now that I do casting and imbedding of things. May even see a watch part birdhouse one day.

The ornaments on the display racks with pens next to them were gifts. I belong to a scrollsaw site and every year they would do ornament exchanges so I would do a little different ornament by turning these and would throw in a turned pen of mine too. The recipient always was very happy. Stopped doing it for some years now.

howsitwork

JT

I especially like the combination in photos 3 with dark red wood top and figured lighter base.Where did you get the mini birds to go with them please? It'll no doubt be different over here in UK but they do work well.

Also what's the material for the pen? Looks almost like marble chips?

jttheclockman

Hello Ian.

Lets start with the easy question. The 2 pens are made with Italian Madreperlato Blanks called ice. The top is black and clear chips and the bottom is blue with white chips. Sorry I do not remember all the names of the woods. I just pull from my stash whatever color woods I think work together. I do not get caught up in wood names. Back when I was making them I was more in tuned. As far as the birds go, that is a tough one because they are hard to find these days. I bought a bunch back when I was making them. The key is to try find ones with feathers that look more real. I use to get them in various places.
Michaels crafts stores
AC Moores craft stores ( no longer in business)
https://factorydirectcraft.com/catalog/categories/1302_2113_2256-artificial_birds_nests.html
https://www.nationalartcraft.com/
Crafts Supply USA
I had so many more but when I clicked on them they seem to be out of business so did not list them. If you do a google search I am sure you can find some places.

howsitwork

Don't suppose you ve ever considered scrolling a bat box JT ?

We have several old farm building next door and I love watching them, especially since I found out they eat their own weight in insects each day apparently. I object to being the target for midge and mosquito's and ain't too keen on blue bottle flies either

jttheclockman

Don't suppose you ve ever considered scrolling a bat box JT ?

We have several old farm building next door and I love watching them, especially since I found out they eat their own weight in insects each day apparently. I object to being the target for midge and mosquito's and ain't too keen on blue bottle flies either
Not really something I ever thought about. :) I just wish I can finish up all these home projects so I can finally get back in the shop and do what I love to do. Have such a long list of projects I want to do. I want to be able to share some of these projects with the membership here before it is my time to really give it all up.

howsitwork

Not really something I ever thought about. :) I just wish I can finish up all these home projects so I can finally get back in the shop and do what I love to do. Have such a long list of projects I want to do. I want to be able to share some of these projects with the membership here before it is my time to really give it all up.
JT remember the old saying " you're only as old as the woman you feel , unless the wife finds out when your dead meat ".

I too need to sort some of my "un needed " tools out so I can get to the projects piled under and around them but currently having gone self employed ( and loving it ) it's proving a bit difficult to find time to get in there and sort it.

Meanwhile , by careful planning I've managed to work near enough to my favourite bakeries and pie shops , to restock the freezer so self employment has benefits šŸ˜‰

Top Bottom