Some New Stuff and Recent Gifted Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

It's been a little bit since I've posted any pens but I finally found some time on my computer to do so.

The first is a vintage soda cap over silver carbon fiber on a gold and chrome diamond knurl Sierra.
The second image is a group of pens I made from for the Owner of Gluboost as a gift for making time to join our online demo at Exotic Blanks a couple months ago to answer questions about his product. I made the Glu-dry a Zen since the real bottle is so long. The others are sierras.
The third is another Sierra of one of my clear cast sewing supply blanks.
The forth is a black carbon fiber Sierra.
The fifth I thought I posted a while ago but couldn't find it so I included it. It was made from beer bottle caps from Costa Rica over cocobolo. The Jr lower half is a clear cast of a map of Costa Rica. These were a gift to a dear friend who's wife brought back the caps from their vacation.
The last one is this my donation to this years AAW Symposium auction. It's a fancier Jr set with one of my Jungle Fowl feather casts. I had it set aside for me but rarely find time to make pens for myself so it became a donation.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Pepsi cap.JPG
    Pepsi cap.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 162
  • gluboost pens.JPG
    gluboost pens.JPG
    335.9 KB · Views: 137
  • sewing pen.JPG
    sewing pen.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Sierra.jpg
    Sierra.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Costa Rica Dick Sing Pens.jpg
    Costa Rica Dick Sing Pens.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 145
  • AAW 2023 Jungle Fowl 1 (1).jpg
    AAW 2023 Jungle Fowl 1 (1).jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 166
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

All very very nice and am sure will be well received. Of course to me the one that stands out as usual is your feather blanks. Always admired them. Now I am going to steal the sewing idea to an extent. I have a bunch of the knitting things and have been looking for ideas to incorporate in the blanks. I have gathered a few trinkets such as the measuring tapes and needles along with some sewing watch dials. So they are on the list. Have a few people I need to make for. Thanks for showing.

JohnU

Beautiful work as always.. what JR kit is that with the feathers? I don't recall seeing that one before
I think that one is in the Jr Retro family but I don't have the package anymore. I bought it a couple years ago at an estate sale in a large group of pen sets.

JohnU

with the domed top yes it does look like a retro.. but look at that center band... all the ones ive purchased from you have a black band.
Thanks Ed, I just looked at the Dayacom site and they call the version with the gold fancier band a jr marshal. Its shape is the same as the Jr retro only with different band and finial as far as I can see.

wimkluck

Thanks, the Jungle fowl is real. I dont make many of them due to the extremely high price of the skins. Their feathers are used mostly by fly tiers for their neck capes with the yellow and white spots.
I had 4 JC skins. 3 from a deceased lady who fly fished and tied. One of my own. I gave one away to our fly fishing club last week. with a trunk full of tying gear and fishing rods and old reels. I had quite a lot of stuff but got more than double. So that's for the beginners at our club.

JohnU

I had 4 JC skins. 3 from a deceased lady who fly fished and tied. One of my own. I gave one away to our fly fishing club last week. with a trunk full of tying gear and fishing rods and old reels. I had quite a lot of stuff but got more than double. So that's for the beginners at our club.
I bet, they are not offered everywhere and have to be imported from outside the USA so they get a pretty good price for them. Years ago I was able to buy them between $50 -$80 . Now they go for double or triple that based on their quality.

sorcerertd

All are beautifully made! This just makes me want to get started with casting even more. I was thinking the same thing as John T about stealing the basic idea of the sewing pen. The Jr (Gent?) with the Costa Rica map and "cap" come together very nicely.

For whatever it's worth, I like the Marshall with the center band on it better than the plainer retro. I've never seen them available where I typically shop.

JohnU

Thanks for all the comments! The sewing pen was fun. I also made some seam rippers like it. The fabric background and thread color leave plenty of room for change. I also have a Bobbie pin on the other side that can't be seen in the picture. I thought about including buttons but didn't find anything small enough. They'll probably need to be sanded thinner as well. Maybe next time. Lol

sorcerertd

Thanks for all the comments! The sewing pen was fun. I also made some seam rippers like it. The fabric background and thread color leave plenty of room for change. I also have a Bobbie pin on the other side that can't be seen in the picture. I thought about including buttons but didn't find anything small enough. They'll probably need to be sanded thinner as well. Maybe next time. Lol
I make my own buttons for bracelets. Just a thought, if you want to include a button, you can take a scrap piece of wood and shape it so it will curve around the barrel. I purposely make mine out of round and in odd shapes. Walnut shells work fantastic for this, too.

1690426700814.png

Top Bottom