Some New Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KCW

KCW

Much like my post in Other Things We Make, I just want to get some opinions on these pens. What should I improve on? Thanks

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Great looking pens !!!! Ready to sell to a discerning person looking to buy a rollerball !!

Reactions: KCW

Brooks803

They are all very well made. The fit looks great. I can see a little bit of micro scratches at the bottom of the bodies on the first 3 pics. Only where the light is direct on them...which shows everything.

As for the photos themselves I would use a little more indirect light so you don't get that harsh reflection on the chrome hardware.

KCW

They are all very well made. The fit looks great. I can see a little bit of micro scratches at the bottom of the bodies on the first 3 pics. Only where the light is direct on them...which shows everything.

As for the photos themselves I would use a little more indirect light so you don't get that harsh reflection on the chrome hardware.

Thanks for the CC. I have some trouble with the micro scratches, like you said, especially visible on the darker materials. I am definitely working on the photography, I have had a few photography classes, but these things stump me.

eranox

Those are stunning. I thought I saw a size issue on the end of one of the barrels, but nope--just my computer playing tricks on me. Very nice work.

Brooks803

Thanks for the CC. I have some trouble with the micro scratches, like you said, especially visible on the darker materials. I am definitely working on the photography, I have had a few photography classes, but these things stump me.

Would you mind sharing your finishing steps? Maybe there's something that be done to help you out with that.

KCW

Would you mind sharing your finishing steps? Maybe there's something that be done to help you out with that.

I do the final turning with a skew, so it looks ok at that point, then I start sanding, usually at 500 or 600 grit dry, since I don't need to do any shaping, and the blank is pretty smooth from turning. I then move to wet sanding, up to 12,000 grit, at that point I used to go to a plastic polish, but still saw the scratches, so I started trying the CSUSA 3 step polish (dr. something) and then the plastic polish (McGuires), they look better, but not perfect. I am assuming that the problem is with my wet sanding. What do you think?

Brooks803

Do you stop the lathe and sand lengthwise on the barrel after each grit? If not that's something you should try out. It will help reduce the scratches left behind by the heavier grits.

Another thing you can try is buffing. That's what I've found to work best on micro scratches.

KCW

Do you stop the lathe and sand lengthwise on the barrel after each grit? If not that's something you should try out. It will help reduce the scratches left behind by the heavier grits.

Another thing you can try is buffing. That's what I've found to work best on micro scratches.

I usually sand lengthwise every other grit and I do have a buffing wheel, but haven't used it in a while. I will get it back out and try it again.

Top Bottom