Some More Spanish Moss Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Larryreitz

Larryreitz

Taking a bit of inspiration from others here, mainly Todd in PA and KMCloonan, I cast some store bought Spanish Moss with Alumilite clear slow. The first try was a disaster. I had the moss packed into the tube too tight and it could not flow much below an inch before it started curing. A real mess. Second try the moss was loosely packed and it flowed easily but the density of the moss was pretty low in the blank. I didn't throw it away and the pen is pictured below. On the third go I packed it loosely and then tamped it down while the Alumilite was still in the liquid phase. I think that one came out well. I didn't photograph the blanks (computer software issues, but, that's for a rant in another post). I finally got the Adobe Lightroom issue worked out today, and both pens are pictured. The cast was clear resin so the color (burgandy) is from painting the hole for the tube. I'd be interested in your thoughts should you be so inclined.

Third Try

IMG_0038.jpg
IMG_0039-Edit.jpg

Second Try
IMG_0041-Edit.jpg
IMG_0042-Edit.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0041-Edit.jpg
    IMG_0041-Edit.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0042-Edit.jpg
    IMG_0042-Edit.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 53
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

They look good! Nice to see you stick with it and find success! Moss can be fun and if you buy the light colored stuff, it takes dye very easily. I dyed some red years ago and clear cast on a tube to resemble veins. Keep up the good work and experiments!

I like the burgundy background, good color choice with the green moss. Thank you for sharing the process at it evolves, it helps others who may want to experiment. The third try piece has a pretty good balance of moss verses open space.

Looking good. Will there be more to follow?

Larryreitz

I like the burgundy background, good color choice with the green moss. Thank you for sharing the process at it evolves, it helps others who may want to experiment. The third try piece has a pretty good balance of moss verses open space.

Looking good. Will there be more to follow?
Thanks for the comments. If they sell or draw attention at the shows there will probably be more.

Larryreitz

They look good! Nice to see you stick with it and find success! Moss can be fun and if you buy the light colored stuff, it takes dye very easily. I dyed some red years ago and clear cast on a tube to resemble veins. Keep up the good work and experiments!
Thanks, John. reinforcement from one of the "Masters" is much appreciated.

Top Bottom