Some Interesting (Read Expensive) but Useful Toys

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmachin

Just ran across this video from last October on Stumpy Nubs YouTube channel. There is some really cool stuff here; some of which most of us know about but a several of which are unique and useful. All are expensive.

Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I watched the entire video and tried finding that had to have tool but just could not. If there was one it would be the Festool dust collector. I know for fact they work and are the best on the market but to use it for the sanding I do in my shop just does not warrant the price. I sand outdoors 99% of the time. If I sand indoors I have a down draft table that works well. It would be great for my scrollsawing work so it still an option if I ever came into some money it would be in the shop. But then again I would also buy many of Festool tools because I have drooled over their Kapex miter saw for many years. Their sanders are some of the best on the market too. Other than that there were nothing that stood out. Those sander and other tools where you hand crank to me a re a waste and for the price. You have to be able to work with one hand and control the project which is never good. With drill presses you can clamp the work piece down. (I know someone will suggest that one so I thought I would include a thought) The back saw is good for model makers. That is about it and cutting balsa wood and pines. Do not want to go through each tool but in my opinion I am not running out and buying any of those. Is it good to see new innovations, for sure it is but lets take it to the CNC world and really be amazed at what can be done. One thing I would maybe get and can always buy is the diamond stones for the tormek sharpener. I have the Tormek and use it for when I want to really take my tools and touch them up if I have no projects going on. But a grinding wheel gets you there quicker. But it was interesting watching. Thanks.

mmayo

Food for thought. The dust collection items are worth consideration as many items would be very nice in my shop.

FGarbrecht

Thanks a lot. I just ordered a Festool dust extractor. I am so tired of fighting the dust throughout my house. Hope this helps.

PatrickR

Thanks a lot. I just ordered a Festool dust extractor. I am so tired of fighting the dust throughout my house. Hope this helps.

I have one and doubt you will be disappointed. I use it at the lathe and with their sanders. It's quiet and as close to dust free sanding as you can get.

I have been intrigued by Bridge City tolls but don't own any.
Their saw is on sale currently. It would seem ideal for segmenting, box making and for anyone that likes manual cutting, like me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FGarbrecht

I would buy the saw if I new what to do with it. Thanks for the post!
I'm tempted by that saw too. I'm always scared of my table saw, would love an alternative for little cutting jobs. Hmmmm

FGarbrecht

You will love this. Good luck with it.
Tried the Festool dust extractor out with my Makita tracksaw which spews out huge amounts of sawdust and particulate airborne debris -- virtually no cleanup necessary afterward, the dust extractor got 99.9% of it. Bonus, the Festool hose fits the Makita saw without needing any kludgy adapter. Way way way better than my usual shopvac setup!

Haven't tried it with the lathe yet -- waiting on a dust hood for the lathe. I'll update when that is all set up.

bmachin

Tried the Festool dust extractor out with my Makita tracksaw which spews out huge amounts of sawdust and particulate airborne debris -- virtually no cleanup necessary afterward, the dust extractor got 99.9% of it. Bonus, the Festool hose fits the Makita saw without needing any kludgy adapter. Way way way better than my usual shopvac setup!

Haven't tried it with the lathe yet -- waiting on a dust hood for the lathe. I'll update when that is all set up.
I don't have a Festool dust extractor, but I do have a few of their other tools including their original tracksaw and their big router that I use with another shop vac. I can only say that when it comes to dust and chip collection, Festool is king. Nobody does it better at the tool end regardless of the vac system. Maybe something has changed in the past few years, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

By the way I'm not disagreeing about the Festool vac.

Bill

Top Bottom