Some Advice on Loosing Weight

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm going to brag a little about losing excess weight and offer a little advice to guys (or gals for that matter) who want to lose some.

From January 31st 2011 until today I have lost about 84 pounds. I weigh about 170 which is about what I weighed when I was in the Navy....but, to keep me humble, I was 2 inches taller and my waist line was 3 inches smaller then.

And here is the advice....might not work for everyone but it works for me.

1. Do NOT go on a rigerous diet. If you do that you will lose weight fast but the odds of keeping it off range from slim to zero.

2. Do decide realistically how much you want to weigh btw don't set your target at 150 if you weigh 300 set it at 250. Write it down.

3. Find the number of calories per day needed to sustain your target weight. A good place to start is 10 x your target weight if you are a couch potato and 15 x your target weight if you are very active. That will tell you about how many calories you should eat per day.

4. Set aside at least an hour a day to exercise. If you are capable of walking that is enough time for about a 2 to 4 mile walk and walking at any speed above 2 miles and hour is a great exercise... Find a variety of places where you can walk. I wouldn't jog - it's hard on the joints and is no better than walking for weight loss. Increase your walking speed as you go. Don't think that because you're active you don't need to do this and don't make excuses. Keep in mind -- it is better for you to be fat and fit then thin and a couch potato. So even if you don't lose a pound this is great for you.

5. Set an intermediate goal that is easily within your reach - maybe a loss of 5 or 10 pounds --- when you reach it set another. I used 5 pounds loss. So my goal was never so far away I would get discouraged. It was easy to say "Hey I've only got to lose another 3-4-5 pounds and I'm there"

6. Do not try to starve yourself but recognize that if you are going to go from that 3X or 4X to a X or 2X you will have to change the way you eat. I found that the easiest things to cut out were the "Junk" and the easiest way to cut them out was don't bring them in the house. You can reduce them gradually but if you want to keep weight off -- they gotta go. If you think otherwise you are kidding yourself. You can snack more calories during a football game than you should eat in two days. And - take the Fast Food places off your list of places to eat.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Smithy, another way to add to your list Cut 80% of the wheat intake in carbs. replace the with vegetables.
I wasn't trying to offer details on eating. I cut candy, ice cream, cookies, potato chips, pie, cake and most other sweets and started eating fresh fruit --- but I already liked fresh fruit so it really wasn't much of a sacrifice. I did cut way back on starchy foods and bread but I did that gradually. I also eat a lot of green vegetables - but I have always done that and I like green vegetables...I can eat a whole package of fresh green beans and get maybe 100 calories...throw in a little garlic and onion (no salt) and I'm in heaven....

Russianwolf

most effective diet I was ever on....... a severe case of cold sores. I mean I had to put a wet washcloth on my lips for ten minutes before I could get them open each morning. :frown:

lost a lot of weight that week.:redface:

Of course once I could eat solids again, I gained it back. :rolleyes:

I DO NOT recommend the diet, but it was effective. :cool:

firedkm

Great job Smitty!!!:) If you have a smart phone......find the app called My Fitness Pal. Its free and a great way to find your calorie intake track your calories and your progress.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmmm

most effective diet I was ever on....... a severe case of cold sores. I mean I had to put a wet washcloth on my lips for ten minutes before I could get them open each morning. :frown:

When she was a teenager my wife had her jaw broken when she got hit by a practice swing of a driver at a driving range --- wired together for several weeks and liquid diet. Another one that was effective but I don't think I'd recommend that one either.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Great job Smitty!!!:) If you have a smart phone......find the app called My Fitness Pal. Its free and a great way to find your calorie intake track your calories and your progress.

I do not and will not ever have a smart phone. I use Tracfone as my cell and nobody has the number and I don't answer it if it rings. That is for me calling others not for others to call me when I'm in the middle of something else......but that is fodder for another thread.

Paul in OKC

Good job! I have lost bout 20 lbs lately. Mostly by quitting my daily candy bar or peanut M&M's! Haven't had any for 2 months. Also cut my soda fix down by about 75%. Haven't weighed where I am at for over 20 years, feels great!

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Congratulations Smitty! I have dropped 65 pounds in the past year. For me portion control was a key issue (which helps control calories). I was eating portions 3-4 times larger than I should. I am amazed just how little food the human body actually requires to remain healthy. Most of your advice I have been following this past year so I can verify its wisdom.

Keep up the good work and go after that next five pounds!

gimpy

Nice going smitty. I wish I had the man power to
do what you did.....
I took the hard road and was just deemed
diebetic......they kept telling me, but
I'm hard headed at times....
Now I have no choice

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Congratulations Smitty! I have dropped 65 pounds in the past year. For me portion control was a key issue (which helps control calories). I was eating portions 3-4 times larger than I should. I am amazed just how little food the human body actually requires to remain healthy. Most of your advice I have been following this past year so I can verify its wisdom.

Keep up the good work and go after that next five pounds!
The human body is a remarkably efficient machine. It amazes me how much we can do with just 100 calories....and a Calorie is NOT a huge amount of energy.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Nice going smitty. I wish I had the man power to
do what you did.....
I took the hard road and was just deemed
diebetic......they kept telling me, but
I'm hard headed at times....
Now I have no choice
I actually got into this because they told me I was diebetic - wanted to put me on a medication but I said no - I'll lose weight and see what happens (I was already getting exercise because although I was way overweight I was fit). I was walking and swimming --- I did add a recumbant bike for when the weather prevents the other activities.

When she was a teenager my wife had her jaw broken when she got hit by a practice swing of a driver at a driving range --- wired together for several weeks and liquid diet. Another one that was effective but I don't think I'd recommend that one either.

Another diet I don't recommend... a couple years ago I had an umbilical hernia that became strangulated and was rushed to the ER (My first ever ambulance ride)... wound up in surgery the next morning to repair the hernia and because of the strangulation, they did a small bowel resection ... then my diet for one week was water and ice... what ever nutrients I got was by IV... I lost over 20 lbs in a week... laying flat of my back except for the daily walks around the hospital hall way pushing my IV stand....

BTW, when I went in the Navy in 1960, I weighed 133 lbs, had a 28 inch waist, maybe a 36 inch chest and standing 6'1" tall... I was skinny... the doctors at the recruiting physical actually almost didn't pass me for induction... if I had ever fallen overboard I would have been like one of those thin pencil type bobbers used on my grandpa's cane fishing pole...:biggrin:

Fortunately I gained 15 lbs in bootcamp and held that weight until I was 50 years old... then met my wife and got fat.... I'm about 6' now (think I shrunk) and top out at about 195.

Good Job Smitty... keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Another diet I don't recommend... a couple years ago I had an umbilical hernia that became strangulated and was rushed to the ER (My first ever ambulance ride)... wound up in surgery the next morning to repair the hernia and because of the strangulation, they did a small bowel resection ... then my diet for one week was water and ice... what ever nutrients I got was by IV... I lost over 20 lbs in a week... laying flat of my back except for the daily walks around the hospital hall way pushing my IV stand....

BTW, when I went in the Navy in 1960, I weighed 133 lbs, had a 28 inch waist, maybe a 36 inch chest and standing 6'1" tall... I was skinny... the doctors at the recruiting physical actually almost didn't pass me for induction... if I had ever fallen overboard I would have been like one of those thin pencil type bobbers used on my grandpa's cane fishing pole...:biggrin:

Fortunately I gained 15 lbs in bootcamp and held that weight until I was 50 years old... then met my wife and got fat.... I'm about 6' now (think I shrunk) and top out at about 195.

Good Job Smitty... keep up the good work.

You might well have lost height. When I joined the Navy at 17 I was 5'9". When I got discharged at 22 i was 5'10". In 2000 I was still 5'10" tall because I moved and when I checked in with my new doctor they measured me. Now I am maybe 5' 8 1/2 (stretching) but more likely 5' 8".

My weight joing the Navy was 155 and when I got out it was 175. Since I had gotten an inch taller the added 20 pounds only increased my waist from 30" to about 33" and the blue 13 button trousers I was issued would still fit when I got out (the blues had an expansion lace up 'V' in the back. Today at 173 my waist is a slightly loose 36"

My inseam is an inch less than it was 10 years ago. And I am quite bowlegged now which I never was until maybe the last 7 or 8 years.

Top Bottom