Solid Bottom RM Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Glued this up yesterday as a 4" x 16" flat board to make a 8" diameter bowl and finished it off earlier today .

All of a sudden that glue up I showed on WWF turned into this. .

I will have to tell those elves in my shop to take a rest . ;)

This one has a solid , no hole plugged bottom .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

Holy Cow!! I keep thinking that each piece you make is my favorite .....
and then you come up with this beauty. I love the way the complex pattern
emerges as you put it together. Great Job!! Regards, Doc:)

W.Y.

Holy Cow!! I keep thinking that each piece you make is my favorite .....
and then you come up with this beauty. I love the way the complex pattern
emerges as you put it together. Great Job!! Regards, Doc:)

Thanks Doc.
Here is what the glue up looked like before turning it into a bowl . .

I make these bowls as well as my other turnings in my ninety square foot micro shop . It is so small I sometimes have to step outside just to change my mind about something .

RectGlueUp.jpg

Last edited:

plantman

That area does look a little tight Bill !! That bowl looks amazing !! The pattern looks 3D with plenty of depth. I can see that displayed on a turn table with the right lighting to make it pop. In woodworking, size realy doesn't matter !! It's how you use your tools in the space that you have that counts. You are using your tools and space very well !!! Jim S

dexter0606

Is there an adjustment that you can make to get the corners of the pattern to match?
Although I guess with more pieces that you add the chances of misalignment goes up proportionally

W.Y.

Is there an adjustment that you can make to get the corners of the pattern to match?
Although I guess with more pieces that you add the chances of misalignment goes up proportionally

Sorry for the late reply . Been to a bluegrass festival down in Montana for almost a week so not much shop time.

You are right , the more pieces added as well as using segmentation versus laminating it is practically an impossibility to get perfect alignment every time when considering the board is cut on an angle to make the rings and there is a saw kerf to contend with which causes a little loss of wood between rings .
It's one of those things where hand crafted comes into the picture and no two are ever the same compared to ones that are spit out of multi million dollar machines in China where every one is perfect but identical .

Fortunately I seldom get complaints about a bit of misalignment and now after having made well over 300 in the past two years since I bought my RM with over 200 sold , I am building up my inventory for this year's pre Christmas sales again .

Last edited:
Top Bottom