Solid Bar Tool Rests

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used the solid bar tool rests offered by PSI... I was turning a bowl this afternoon from Zebrawood and had a bad catch.. not only launched the bowl around the shop, also snapped the post off my tool rest.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodmarc

I have a set of those. Pretty light weight. Haven't broken one though.
They are <b>R E A L </b> easy to dent and ding. IMHO not worth the money.
I bought some of the round bar rests from Rockler. Those are nice.

my 2 cents worth

opfoto

There was a member here that offered them up a while ago. Nicely made, reasonable prices. I think it was Lamar Sherrill? He goes by SWOODWRKNG, you may be able to email him. Take care. Glad you weren't hurt.

Dario

Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />A brand new bowl gouge. I had just touched the insde of a shallow bowl and BAM!

What size bowl?
Is it near final thickness or still rough?
What HP does your lathe have.
How are you holding (chuck/FP) the bowl?

Are you sure the tool was resting on the tool rest before it contact the wood? Most "accidents" of this nature are caused by such error and just wondering.

The bowl is about 8" dia.. I was chucking in a scroll chuck. I was turning on the Jet Mini.. 1/2 horse motor and fortunately, I could put it back in the chuck and transferred to my other lathe... it's near finished.. just need to cut the tenon off the bottom. I made a jig to hold the bowl so I could cut the tenon off another bowl, but the jig is just a hair small for this bowl.. have to cut another jig.

Marc, I was totally surprise when that 5/8" cast iron post snap... I was busy dodging the bowl that was flying around the shop, so didn't see it until I found the bowl.
I've had to run the edge through a grinder to smooth the dings... I order the set from PSI.. I miss my Jet lathe.

dubdrvrkev

Not the first time I heard of a Mini rest snapping off. Best thing is none of the digits were in the way.
I just posted some links in another thread about tool rests for a mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom