Soft Merlot Dyed Flame Box Elder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from karlkuehn

karlkuehn

Banned
This is one of my dyed flame box elder burl blanks left over from the last batch of orders that I did. Lots of dense wood in this piece prevented the dye from getting in most places, leaving some neat dye ('Soft Merlot') streaks in the natural wood. I really like the way these blanks take my little dye process so sporadically. Keeps them from looking like Crayola tubes! [:p]

I really wanted to add some burn lines or other embellishments, but I told myself I'd get this one done quick and clean, and now I'm glad I did! It came out really crisp, and it's been a while since I've actually seen natural box elder color! heh

Finish is skew - sand through MM3200, 4 layers of CA/BLO, finish the MM through 12K, then a quick layer of Shellawax for shine. Let it sit in the heat of the photo booth for a couple of hours to cure the Shellawax before assembling. I was really happy with how fast and easy this one was! Right up until I went to assemble it and realized that I had forgotten that these kits use a tenon! It's been a while since I made one of these. Whoops! Back to the lathe for a couple minutes, assembled then light Ren wax.

BoxElderFlameDyed1_1.jpg

BoxElderFlameDyed1_2.jpg

BoxElderFlameDyed1_3.jpg

Comments, questions and suggestions welcome!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Grizz

Banned
Very pretty, now if I can just take pictures like that. wow.

BigShed

Not much of a Merlot drinker myself, prefer a gutsy Shiraz (australian of course!), but that Merlot came from a good vintage.

Great looking wood, beautiful finish, all captured in a superb photograph.

Take a bow sir![^]

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Karl , I woke up early this morning & wanted to check out the forum . I'm glad I did . Another beauty here . Again , thanks for the tips , I need them . [8D]

Top Bottom