Society today.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Society has changed drastically in my lifetime. And in a negative direction. But what I'm trying to understand is why everyone is looking at their crotch when in a car. What is the mystic? I'm concerned some men might have their tie caught in their zipper. Or women drivers are looking at their shoes. Stiff neck factor.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

They are looking at their phones. Which isn't any better.
That's what I'm talking about. I can't stand looking in the rear view and seeing The Crotch Viewer. It just became illegal in Florida but everyone is out to lunch. Had some one next to me this am pass a School Bus "lit up". I think insurance should not cover the driver/owners car for damage if they're using the phone and cause an accident or property damage.

jttheclockman

The invention of the smart phone was not such a smart idea. it proves how dumb people really are. Anywhere you go today and at any event always people with those things constantly.

WriteON

The invention of the smart phone was not such a smart idea. it proves how dumb people really are. Anywhere you go today and at any event always people with those things constantly.
Exactly. The portable phone illustrates how wacky the human mind can be. The guy in the men's room on his phone. The person that trips over a curb when crossing the street. When I'm playing pool I'll fold my cue if the opponent takes theirs out. But the winner is the family at the dinner table and everyone is engaged. I see that in restaurants all the time. The poor kid sitting bored and his mother is busy finger blabbing.

WriteON

I closed my shop years ago... if I employed people today there would be a strict phone policy. As rigid as could be.

jttheclockman

Exactly. The portable phone illustrates how wacky the human mind can be. The guy in the men's room on his phone. The person that trips over a curb when crossing the street. When I'm playing pool I'll fold my cue if the opponent takes theirs out. But the winner is the family at the dinner table and everyone is engaged. I see that in restaurants all the time. The poor kid sitting bored and his mother is busy finger blabbing.
I will add a good one. I saw them being used in church during mass.

Humongous

No phones allowed at the table in our house. That rule has been in place since my kids were young. We also have a rule that everyone has to tell one thing that happened to them that day. Fosters communication, and initiates some interesting conversations. Conversation is an art and if it is not practiced the skills diminish, sadly that is the case with many in the younger generations.

JUICEDSS

I was on my motorcycle in 2016 and a 17 year old girl turned into me while using the phone for a GPS. I now know I can fly 50 feet and survive. I spent my summer in bed that year. I see it all the time when riding, it is terrible.

dogcatcher

Because of disabilities I have not driven a vehicle in 15 years. I get to sit there in the passenger seat and watch the IDIOTS try to drive while trying to talk on their phones, text, eat lunch or dinner, have their cup of morning coffee, and the stupid lists does not end. I sit in the parking lot while my wife shops, people watching can be a laugh a minute. I have watched people walk into cars while texting. Saw one that stepped out on to a busy road in front of a pickup and get hit. He was lucky only bruised, but he LIED to the police officer, I told the LEO that the IDIOT was texting as he stepped off the curb. I was immediately told by the texter, I was lying, when I asked why should I lie, he had no answer, and finally admitted fault.

Too many people are inconsiderate, they care only about themselves, it is time to look in the mirror, and ask yourself if you want to be an IDIOT like them.

WriteON

Because of disabilities I have not driven a vehicle in 15 years. I get to sit there in the passenger seat and watch the IDIOTS try to drive while trying to talk on their phones, text, eat lunch or dinner, have their cup of morning coffee, and the stupid lists does not end. I sit in the parking lot while my wife shops, people watching can be a laugh a minute. I have watched people walk into cars while texting. Saw one that stepped out on to a busy road in front of a pickup and get hit. He was lucky only bruised, but he LIED to the police officer, I told the LEO that the IDIOT was texting as he stepped off the curb. I was immediately told by the texter, I was lying, when I asked why should I lie, he had no answer, and finally admitted fault.

Too many people are inconsiderate, they care only about themselves, it is time to look in the mirror, and ask yourself if you want to be an IDIOT like them.
Pedestrians are obligated to yield.... if they are not crotch surfing. They can be fined or accountable.

pshrynk

I was on my motorcycle in 2016 and a 17 year old girl turned into me while using the phone for a GPS. I now know I can fly 50 feet and survive. I spent my summer in bed that year. I see it all the time when riding, it is terrible.
I heard of a driving game that people are encouraged to play with their kids. On long trips, have them count motorcycles and make up some weird scoring system to make it a competition if there are two or more. I gets them to look for bikes and should help with cycle awareness. YMMV with an eighteen year old...

I worked for a Petroleum company, Chevron USA to be exact. If you were caught using your phone while driving in a company car and were involved in an accident it was immediate terms for termination. No questions asked. You wouldn't believe how many people called into conference calls while driving. My company car also had a tracking system and different sensors that recorded speed, break application power (from slamming the breaks on) and speed application (how many times you stomped on the accelerator). Every month it printed out a report that your boss saw and if it wasn't 90% green and no red warning signs you were good. If there was any red you got called into the bosses office for a discussion.

Society has changed drastically in my lifetime. And in a negative direction. But what I'm trying to understand is why everyone is looking at their crotch when in a car. What is the mystic? I'm concerned some men might have their tie caught in their zipper. Or women drivers are looking at their shoes. Stiff neck factor.
Try this the next time you're at a stop light and the moron next to you is texting. Let loose on your horn and watch them crap their pants.😂

DFR

The ones I don't understand are the truckers. It is illegal for a CDL holder to use a phone while driving yet it's all you see. You'd think the possibility of losing their license would prevent them from doing it.

jttheclockman

The ones I don't understand are the truckers. It is illegal for a CDL holder to use a phone while driving yet it's all you see. You'd think the possibility of losing their license would prevent them from doing it.
Heck I seen cops driving and talking on the phone too. Please do not tell me it is a business call. Todays roads are a hazard from many things. Turn on red is a joke. Stop signs mean nothing. Going through red lights is the norm. Speed limits are a suggestion these days. The older I get the more scared I have become to driving. Again I have seen many cops violate the same laws they are suppose to uphold.

What I do not understand is all these car makers have all these cameras for out of lane signals, rear view and all, why do they not make it mandatory to have dash cameras on all vehicles as standard equipment or at least an option. This would be a help many times in accidents.

I carry a cell phone for only two reasons... 1. to keep in contact with my wife if I'm out and about... she is for all practical purposes an invalid.. she can get around the house, but I worry when I'm not home....
2. I use it to run credit cards when I'm at my craft show.

Otherwise, it either lays on my desk at home or stays in the holder on my hip. If it ring while I'm in the car, if she's with me, I have the wife answer, if not I ignore it.... if I happen to be in the car, the car will answer the call... it's Bluetooth equipped. Otherwise, I wouldn't have a cell.

I initially got one after my wife's accident in Houston some 16 or 17 years ago... some guy in a pick up truck clipped her back bumper as she started into a tool booth on the Sam Houston Parkway, sent her spinning across the freeway, then back to her original lane, turned in the opposite direction. I was at work 40 miles away and didn't find out about the incident until I got home.

I was rear-ended by a guy on his cell phone quite a few years back. I was at a stop on a two lane road waiting for the person in front of me to turn left. There was a school bus on the opposite side of the road that had just got done unloading kids. The guy hit me at around 50mph, pushed the back of my car into the center of the car, I broke the steering wheel as I was holding on for dear life and my seat back was also broken. He spun me around into oncoming traffic where a very nice young lady clipped the front of the car took the right front wheel off along with half the front of the car. When I stopped spinning I was on the opposite side of the road, facing the wrong way in a parking lot. You should have seen the faces on those kids. Thankfully no one was seriously hurt. Anyway, the guy never says anything to me, never checked on the young lady but was on the phone the whole time. Highway Patrol arrives and takes our statements and suggests I can drive my car home. After I got done laughing, really, really hard, I showed him the right front tire, or at least where it used to be and he changed his mind. Needless to say, I went through physical therapy for my back and neck for over a month, got a nice settlement from his insurance company and a new car. I did hear later that he lost his license after the accident due to the number of tickets he had gotten for talking on his cell phone while driving.

Reactions: DFR

Woodchipper

Tennessee passed a law that you aren't even supposed to HOLD a phone while driving. The problem is officers can't stop you for that reason. I'm told that an officer can check your phone to see if it was sending or receiving when an accident happened. My wife and I were at a Japanese grill a while back. Mom, Dad, and two girls were seated at a grill across from us. They were texting the whole time and never once spoke a word.
Comedian- "Mom said always wear clean underwear in case you are in an accident. If I was in an accident, my underwear wouldn't be clean!"

Larryreitz

Chuck from Tellico Plains pretty much summarized how I use mine except that I don't have a bluetooth and therefor never use it in the car unless I'm stopped.

WriteON

Heck I seen cops driving and talking on the phone too. Please do not tell me it is a business call. Todays roads are a hazard from many things. Turn on red is a joke. Stop signs mean nothing. Going through red lights is the norm. Speed limits are a suggestion these days. The older I get the more scared I have become to driving. Again I have seen many cops violate the same laws they are suppose to uphold.

What I do not understand is all these car makers have all these cameras for out of lane signals, rear view and all, why do they not make it mandatory to have dash cameras on all vehicles as standard equipment or at least an option. This would be a help many times in accidents.
Dash cam saved my insurance. Got hit by an uninsured driver at fault that would have disputed it. As for drivers today....someone said that when they get into the car and start driving they feel like shoving their foot up someone's rear end after 10 minutes. I replied...make that 5 minutes.

Dash cam saved my insurance. Got hit by an uninsured driver at fault that would have disputed it. As for drivers today....someone said that when they get into the car and start driving they feel like shoving their foot up someone's rear end after 10 minutes. I replied...make that 5 minutes.
I've been to Florida, actually just last May and yes, there's a lot of cars on the road. Here in Montana we're a lot more chill. I got stuck in commute traffic out of Helena the other day. Had to slow down to 75 mph, there were at least 5 cars in front of me and maybe 3 behind me for as far as I could see. That's on a two lane, either direction, highway (I-15). Our biggest problem are the Canadians;) out of Alberta, they always pass us on the road. Cops leave them alone but sure nail the Montanans for their speed.

Top Bottom