So I discovered I'm allergic to African Pearwood (Baillonella toxisperma)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Picked up some African pearwood the other day. First time I turned it I almost sneezed my head off! And it TASTES AWFUL.

I got some of the shavings in my mouth and it is really bitter. Really pretty wood though. Fortunately my student wasn't allergic to it, too.

Unfortunately, there is no way I can wear a respirator while teaching a blind student. They have to be able to hear me clearly.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

Now that's a real predicament! Maybe there is something that will filter air you breathe in through your nose only? Then just open your mouth and talk quickly when you have too. šŸ˜‚

Lucky2

Sharon, I would bring it no where close to where I lived, especially, if I already knew I was allergic to it. Yes you may have a respirator and dust collector and all of that, but there's nothing that will or can keep 100% of the contaminants out of the air, or off of everything else you touch afterwards.

Len

sbwertz

According to the wood toxicity chart, it is mildly allergenic to eyes and nose for some people. I made a pepper shaker out of it at the center (lined with a plastic tube, so no contact with the spice.) It is not labeled a "sensitizer" so I should be ok with a respirator.

One of our trainers had the same reaction to cedar. Made him sneeze every time we turned it. No serious reaction though. Like hay fever.

Top Bottom