Snowmen: A Baker's Dozen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from byounghusband

byounghusband

Got busy last weekend in the shop and turned 13 Snowmen for gifts and to Friends and Neighbors. Gave 4 away already and they didn't make the photos :rolleyes: Three of them were in White Elephnat Gift Exchanges and each was stolen 3 times and locked down, so they pretty much a hit. Gonna do more for next year.

Cedar, Ash and Bradford Pear were the logs I made them from.

I have a rubber mat in front of my lathe so my feet don't hurt at the end of the day. But the dogs still bark after a few hours of turning. :eek:

But with the mat and 3" of saw dust, it was like walking on air!! No barking dogs that night!! :biggrin:

Cell phone pics

9 left:
attachment.php

Closer looks:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Snowmen 2010 1.jpg
    Snowmen 2010 1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 570
  • Snowmen 2010 2.jpg
    Snowmen 2010 2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 564
  • Snowmen 2010 3.jpg
    Snowmen 2010 3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 570
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Those are some nice turnings. Congratulations. They will make some lucky people very happy.
Those mats are a God send. I have them at the lathe, table saw, drill press and anywhere else I stand for very long. On the garage concrete floor, they make a huge difference. Bob, you are correct about the shavings helping too.
Charles

nava1uni

Nice job, I like the cheerfulness of your snowmen. I saw someone make those on a turning program on a PBS channel. I had saved it on my DVR, but it failed and I haven't been able to find it. Nice to see yours here.

byounghusband

I got them at Hobby Lobby in the beading section. They are Acrylic Gems - Made by Sparkle Style. I used these for the mouth and these for the buttons.

Awesome! I like the googly eyes. What did you use for the buttons/mouths?

Art

They are really easy to turn. Just turn a log between centers and make three large beads for the body, then the hat brim and then the hat. I cut the top of the hat on the band saw and then sand the base. I lacquered them on the lathe and burnished it in with a cotton rag. Med CA was used to attach the eyes, and other features. I turned the nose from scrap woods with a skew and turned a 1/4" tenon on it. My wife painted the noses with glow in the dark orange acrylic paint. I drilled a 5/15" hole for the nose and glued it in.

Nice job, I like the cheerfulness of your snowmen. I saw someone make those on a turning program on a PBS channel. I had saved it on my DVR, but it failed and I haven't been able to find it. Nice to see yours here.

Top Bottom